Every time an Agoda customer checks out of a hotel we send them an email asking them to write a review of their stay. This is the only way reviews can be submitted. Every review must then be approved by our content team before being posted on the Agoda website. Therefore, unlike many other travel sites, ALL Agoda reviews are certified and genuine.
Enter your dates to check availability and book this hotel
Check Rates & Availability At This Hotel
We want you to pay the lowest possible rate for your room. If you have reserved a hotel room through Agoda, and then show us that you could book the same room, for the same dates, at a lower rate, that is viewable and bookable on another website, we will either match that rate or beat it. Click this link to find out more.
Recent customer reviews
|Filter by Traveler Type
All reviews (443)
Families with older children
December 04, 2012
Nce boutique hotel, service with a personal touch!
Strong peranakan chinese feel, good service, exclusive and homely feel.
They have a variety of rooms. We stayed in the family suite that comes with a king size bed, and a single bed.
It is located at the group floor, very convenient location, directly accessible to our car which is parked in their private carpark which is directly accessing from the bedroom from the hotel's rear door. Even though this hotel is not huge, I though it has a good-size carpark which can fit in at least 10 cars (my ballpark estimate).
We felt at-home from the moment we step into the compound!
I am one who focus greatly on cleanliness. This hotel has passed by expectations! :) Bedsheets and towels were cleanly white, no spots spotted. No leftover hair from previous occupant observed in toilet.
Lots of nice cosy spots in the entire hotel for occupants to rest, relax or do some reading.
Not a large variety of food in breakfast buffet selection, but still sufficient for us as we enjoyed more on the homely feel and service in the dining room.
Overall, a good stay for anyone looking for a break from nice grand international hotels, and looking instead to be immersed in the rich old cultural touch of Peranakan Chinese in Penang. While at the same time still enjoying the good cleanliness and service comparable to (if not better than) a well-managed international hotel chain.
December 02, 2012
Lovely hotel and service with a smile
I love heritage hotels and Yeng Keng does not disappoint. Location, rooms, service and food are excellent. My group of 4 requested for many queries and the staff are always smiling and willing to go the extra mile. Also the extra touches of free-flow of hot drinks and water at the courtyard are so welcoming after a day out.
They should be busy as I have recommended many friends to this place.
November 26, 2012
Lovely, perfect hotel that has everything (for us)
Excellent atmosphere, great service, fabulous location (heart of Georgetown, Penang, which is close to all the great city food and sights)
Another excellently refurbished boutique hotel in the heart of Georgetown, Penang.
Location was a huge plus - my significant other and me really don't care about beach hotels around the Feringghi area, since a Penang trip for us is all about the hawker food really.
Yeng Keng is literally at the doorstep of many famous hawker fare (it's just a five-minute stroll away from the landmark Penang Road).
This was our second visit here coincidentally: yeah, we love it this much that we couldn't pass up on a repeat visit.
I have to also stress that it's one of the rare heritage-style hotels that has its own dedicated car parking spots. A number of the other heritage Georgetown hotels do not have this: quite a big deal for a driving visitor like me.
November 14, 2012
Lovely hotel, friendly service, great location
location, pool, cleanliness, cosy ambience
Yeng Keng is classy and its furnishings classic, and while the rooms are not very large, they are very comfortable. And above all that, they are clean. We got a room on the second floor overlooking the courtyard towards the back and this is probably a quieter option than rooms in the front part of the building closer to the street. In-house guests can also enjoy complimentary coffee, tea and fresh fruit any time of the day which are placed at the small bar at hotel doorway.
The addition of a small pool in the hotel is a great respite from the afternoon heat after a morning spent walking around Georgetown. The hotel is very strategically located with nearby access to local street food and quite a few of the heritage sites as well as the recent street art paintings/murals that have popped up around the core heritage zone. The hotel also has sufficient parking for local guests.
A few minor bugs but nothing terribly off-putting:
The free wifi was not very good in the room, had to sit out in the lobby or upstairs sitting area in order to utilise it properly.
The hotel could be more environmentally friendly by giving guests the option of not changing towels everyday.
And lastly, the mini buffet breakfast. Some variety would be nice instead of having the exact same thing every day.
November 13, 2012
Location, service, beautiful place
Indeed a very nice place, beautiful restored building and excellent service.
Only bemol - the room on the ground floor, next to reception, was pretty noisy.
However, overall excellent reference.
November 09, 2012
Comfortable hotel with so many areas to just sit, relax and read a book or leper at your leisure
Room was excellent, we paid a small extra charge to locate upstairs and it was perfect.
Location of hotel is fine, bordering the heritage area and just a 10 minute walk to the main shopping malls and bus station.
Breakfast was very good, fresh cooked eggs and a reasonable selection of fruits, cereals and bread.
November 08, 2012
Perfect location, service and ambiance
Beautifully restored in character of a Chinese mansion,
This place made our stay in the UNESCO Heritage area perfect. We were a part of the community. The lobby has a great sitting area with free coffee and tea. We were able to chat with other guests. The staff are great and so genuinely helpful. The restaurant is beautiful and the food excellent. It is so easy to explore the entire Heritage area from here. The buses run right past the hotel or it is only a 10 minute walk through the historic streets to Komtar, a main shopping and bus hub. The rooms are vey nice and easy to stay in when a rest from travel is needed. They are very quiet and so nicely decorated in character to the late 1800's. We had a great stay for 7 days.
November 02, 2012
Excellent Georgetown option
The reception staff was very helpful and attentive. The location is ideal, easy walking distance to some of the best hawkers and sights of Georgetown. The pool is small but very clean and refreshing and not excessively clorinated. The rooms are small but charming and well decorated. Overall we were very pleased with our choice and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. We did not try the food at the hotel despite the complimentary breakfast - too many great hawker options nearby.
Hotel Feature Tip:
Pre-book your airport transfer with the hotel. We opted to use the white taxi service operating dict from the airport and despite nice driver (that drove in fifth year travelling at 50kph) the car was in such a state we were convinced we would have to get out and push at some points during our drive. Plus hotel driver is cheaper and faster.
October 27, 2012
Classic Charming Hotel and Friendly Service Staffs
We are very impressed with the whole set up with this hotel.
From a old prewar house to a modern and beautiful, charming and lovely.
With glass of beer in hand, sitting by the courtyard cafe, by appreciating the details if architecture restoration is a pure enjoyment. Well ventilated room, even though mine was located on the ground floor just next to the cashier counter, door insulation was added to ensure noises was kept out, very thoughtful!
Room was medium in size, good for couple. More than enough storage space for medium term stay. All basics are available such as complimentary drinks, self-serve coffee/tea. ..etc.
Secured and ample car parking lots, highly recommended for Bikers, Guard Post with Sentry too.
Swimming pool is not big but shady and clean with decor on the wall look perfect for relaxation. Staff are so friendly, ask for Mr. Franky the manager, he will make you feel at home!
October 27, 2012
Charming Boutique Hotel in the heart of Georgetown
Conveninent location, great service staff
A very well restored hotel which exudes loads of charm in the middle of Georgetown. Service staff are great and are always ever willing to cater to your needs. Highly recommended.
Simply enter your travel dates in our search box and see what extra discounts are available, in addition to our everyday lowest guaranteed prices.
| ||Get 4-7% back on every booking|
| ||Points added automatically|
| ||Save money on future bookings|
New DOUBLE and TRIPLE points promotions!
Customer Reviews - Yeng Keng Hotel Penang, Penang
- Charming hotel with refreshing pool - Great little gem with refreshing cool pool perfect for relax
- Clean and comfortable hotel with all you need. - The important thing, the bed, was firm but comfortable and t
- Excellent service hotel and location. - The bathrooms are excellent. Unfortunately the beds are a bi
- Fabulous location and great service.......... - The location in Chulia St is great. Central and easy walking
- fantastic friendly enjoyable hotel - i enjoyed my stay here so much.. there was nothing about thi
- Good location, good decor, good service - Yeng Keng is a good value hotel by western standards. Good c
- Good service and special hotel - i checked in mid night and the receptionist was very nice an
- Great hotel in great location - Highly recommended -- great hotel excellently appointed loca
- Great hotel! - fantastic value. this hotel is immaculately clean, tidy and
- Great location and great service - Went with my sister for short trip. Hotel is right in the he
- Great location and helpful staff but small room - other than the room is a bit small, everything was good. sta
- Great location... great food and helpful staff - Hotel room was small but bearable. Tek Sen restaurant is wit
- Great small local hotel with wonderful service - this was a surprising jewel in downtown georgetown, you can
- Heritage hotel with good service - It is a heritage hotel with excellent clean environment,but
- Home Away from Home - Impreccably and heartily warm service with personal touch, e
- Lovely boutique hotel in Georgetown - We stayed at Yeng Keng for two nights. The hotel was beautif
- lovely heritage hotel - a wonderful hotel in the heart of georgetown. easy to get to
- Lovely hotel with super friendly staff - Yeng keng Hotel in so many ways exceeded my expectations. A
- Lovely, lovely heritage hotel - I simply love this small hotel. Nicely revamped and heritage
- Nce boutique hotel, service with a personal touch! - They have a variety of rooms. We stayed in the family suite
- Nice Classic Boutique - Very nice and helpful hotel stuff. Really like the decoratio
- not a mansion, more like b & b - Nice bedrooms. Nothing in the mini-bar fridge, but easy to s
- Outstanding service - The service was outstanding in this hotel. The staff were co
- Perfect location and personal service - Yeng Keng (pronounced in Mandarin something like "yeng tchin
- Sweet hotel and have great service with a smile - let me feel relax & comfortable environment
but the room is
- The hotel is in a ideal location and great staff. - Great.
- Unique atmosphere - A very clean, sophisticated hotel though the room is a bit s
- Will definitely come back - Very comfortable room, we stayed at chulia suite just everyt
- Wonderful heritage hotel. - I was impressed with the hotel. It was much nicer then the p
- Yeng Keng was fantastic - This is a boutique hotel with a trendy decor and great food.