Every time an Agoda customer checks out of a hotel we send them an email asking them to write a review of their stay. This is the only way reviews can be submitted. Every review must then be approved by our content team before being posted on the Agoda website. Therefore, unlike many other travel sites, ALL Agoda reviews are certified and genuine.
Enter your dates to check availability and book this hotel
Check Rates & Availability At This Hotel
We want you to pay the lowest possible rate for your room. If you have reserved a hotel room through Agoda, and then show us that you could book the same room, for the same dates, at a lower rate, that is viewable and bookable on another website, we will either match that rate or beat it. Click this link to find out more.
Recent customer reviews
|Filter by Traveler Type
All reviews (2018)
October 08, 2012
Lai Chun Yuen
Clean room & opera theme hotel
The hotel is clean and nicely done up..
Upon entering, the red carpets and dim furnish makes the whole place filled with opera feel.
Rooms are small but basic necessity are provided.
It's located at the heart of chinatown and right beside the food street hence shopping and food finding is simply convenient.
Being located near Chinatown NEL station, traveling to other places is made convenient too.
Definitely worth returning for stay
October 08, 2012
Quirky hotel with tiny rooms
Lobby is quite cool, location great.
Room was clean but absolutely tiny with NO WINDOW and not the one advertised on the site. The lights from the firealarm kept us awake and any noise from the lobby wakes you up as all rooms face it. The staff were polite enough though not very friendly. One nights stay was fine but I wouldnt want a long stay. Breakfast was nice but in a bar so not very comfortable. There was no soap in the bathroom. The location is great. This is not one for the claustrophobic!
October 08, 2012
Great location but small rooms
Great location. Traditional artistic atmoshpere and lifestyle
Hotel is very conveniently located at heart of old Chinatown. Full of resturants, shops. Very good for sightseeing, shopping, and also very close to CBD. Hotel has a very beautiful lobby with high ceiling. Impressive. Staff are friendly and helpful. Room is very clean, but be noted, rooms size can be much smalled than you may imagine based on website picutres. Food is not that great, but anyway, you can have many other choice just outside of hotel.
October 08, 2012
Convenient, near train station and the bustling Chinatown
the location is really convenient as it is near chinatown mrt. around the hotel, there are many shops to explore and great food to try! love the oriental feel of the hotel. nonetheless the room is a bit small for a long stay, and it could get noisy at night because of the bar just the hotel.
Take time to walk around the vicinity and explore the food street just below the hotel in the evening
October 07, 2012
i was alone in singapore. i was also surprised by the size of my room. but it was enough to stay alone. i just needed place to stay. and there was a window in my room but it was not too nosy but!! the problem is the sound of tv from next room made me awaken till 2am!! the hotel must throw the tv away in there single room..
most thing i liked is location. there were 'chinatown heritage center(right behind the hotel sri mariamman temple red dot museum (but you should chenk out when the museum open.. i heard on monday)' near hotel.
i would choose this hotel if i go alone again
many people go to 'jumbo' restaurant to have 'chilli crab' but local people don't go there. i recommend 'seng kee black chicken herbal soup 467 ( i don't know if its the name of restaurant cause there was chinese letters..just i wrote english on sign' at kembanggan station.
October 07, 2012
The location, the 'feel' of the place.
I was there two nights. My aim was to walk around the city and found the place perfect as a starting and finishing place. There are loads of eating places on the doorstop and the subway is close by.
I liked the decor; the red and dark brown, and the Chinese Opera theme. The lounge area on the ground floor is good too.
I had a single room and it was very small but apart from the air conditioner blowing cold on me in the night, it wasn't a problem as I was hardly there.
October 07, 2012
Great hotel and location
This was once the Singapore opera house from the early 1900's
If you like heritage buildings then you'll appreciate the Santa Grand hotel Lai Chun Yuen. Take the time to walk around the hotel and check out what was once the opera stage. Although the rooms are small they are clean and comfortable. The hotel is in the heart of China Town and is close to the MRT for exploring other areas of Singapore at low cost. We prefer staying in places away from the concrete jungle city so this hotel was perfectly located. Great day and night markets and local food at your doorstep. Some other reviews commented on the hotel being noisy but we were located on the third floor and didn't find it a problem.
The staff are very helpful and friendly and will assist in booking tours. Have a chat also with the night staff at Bar 25 downstairs and they'll give you great tips on what to see and do in Singapore (and chat about football). The breakfast was more continental and was a good start to the day as the staff were lovely and always had a smile for us in the morning. We enjoyed China Town and the hotel so we extended our stay another 2 nights. Thank you to Lai Chun Yuen staff for an enjoyable short stay in Singapore. We would book again with this hotel.
The local people's market is very cheap and there is also another local food market across the road on level 2. If you prefer sit down restaurants check out smith street. Still affordable and had the best Hainanese roast chicken dish. Plus the fresh coconuts are great!
October 07, 2012
Convinient to walk around
Santa Grand located in chinatown provide you with easy access to walk around, easy to find good food. But also one of the weakness of this hotel as its located in d centre of street market. Its very noisy, you can hear music from the street playing chinese songs all the time.
Overall, stay in this hotel only if you want to experience busy chinatown environment.
Families with young children
October 06, 2012
Very unique hotel
Decoration, ambient, helpful staff
this is a very unique place as it was originally an old chinese opera house. staffs are very polite and helpful, they even help me to print out the boarding pass foc breakfast is minimal and room is small. however i enjoy staying there. a bit noisy if your room is facing the hawker street.
October 05, 2012
Small room, convenient location but noisy
Clean and the location is convenient
hotel has a very weird interior decor where everything is red including the walls, carpets, seats, room doors and lighting which makes you feel as though you are entering and sleeping in a temple.
room toilet is built a few inches away from the wall and you will have to sit sideways. room is a little noisy since it is located directly above the food street.
i also noticed that the toothbrush that was provisioned in the bathroom has been torn and i wasn't sure whether the toothbrush had been recycled.
hotel breakfast was the same for both days that i was there. ham, eggs, sausage, toast, baked beans, fruits, cereals, coffee/tea and juices.
although the location is convenient, i don't think i will ever go back to stay at this hotel.
Lots of shops along the street which opens until 10:30 - 11:00 pm. Therefore if you are the kind of person who sleeps early and easily gets disturb by noises, this is not the hotel to stay in.
Simply enter your travel dates in our search box and see what extra discounts are available, in addition to our everyday lowest guaranteed prices.
| ||Get 4-7% back on every booking|
| ||Points added automatically|
| ||Save money on future bookings|
New DOUBLE and TRIPLE points promotions!
Customer Reviews - Santa Grand Hotel Lai Chun Yuen, Singapore
- A pleasant surprise in the middle of Chinatown - This location is for the more adventurous, but well worth th
- A rare find - single rooms at single rates - The hotel is in a traditional Chinese opera house and its co
- affordable but not too comfortable. - Badly designed toilet layout. The toilet bowl is almost impo
- All red - this hotel looks like a stylish boutique hotel, but actually
- although the room is small, it is clean - The servant was helpful. The view from the room was good.
- Awesome Interior Hotel But.. - I love this hotel and the staff are friendly. Though they on
- beautifull place - my trip was short but I were completely pleased with this ho
- Budget hotel in a great location - The hotel was unique in that it's a converted opera house. L
- chinese style, unexpectably good - chinese style, unexpectably good
location good, food street
- Chinese traditional cultural theme hotel - this is an chinese traditional cultural theme hotel， not ver
- Clean - Good location - Good Price - Hotel is very close (actually in the middle of) Chinatwown.
- Clean and accessible hotel. - very convenient to stay specially for travellers. near to mr
- Clean and Friendly -But Hard to Find! - this hotel is clean and tidy and the staff were friendly. th
- close to the station and shopping areas -
- Convenient location vs small noisy room - Convenient location vs small noisy room
Chinatown is in m
- Convenient location with friendly service - Pros
-Nice location, right in Chinatown, close to subway st
- convenient location - right in the heart of China town, with many dining places in
- Cosy - Perfect location, breakfast a little boring same every day.
- Cute Chinese style boutique hotel - had a pleasant stay. this hotel is very new, opened in nov20
- Cute little hotel - First time going to Singapore.
The hotel is wonderful for t
- excellent -
- Good central location - Very enjoyable.Good central location right in the heart of c
- good hotel -
- Good hotel - clean and cheap for singapore hotels. location in chinatown
- Good location but Extremely small room - good thing:
1) near mrt
3) chinese style dec
- Good location but room is too small - Ok, but the room is way to small, no window, even the price
- Good Location but small room - There is a balcony outside the room for the room i stayed. I
- Good location, clean and new but very small - Great newly designed hotel in a good location, just around t
- Good Location - Never ask the cab driver to go to the stated address, ask hi
- Good location - The room is clean but very small. Convenient location with l
- Good service but tiny rooms - Good location and service but the room was small and noisy.
- Good service, nice hotel - Even though the room is small, but all you need is there, an
- Good services with a smile but small rooms. - I very appreciate to stay here and will be back to use this
- Good value for simple clean room - Central affordable location with contemporary design, quiet,
- Good value spot to lay your head!! - I got a shock at how small the room was but after getting in
- Grand Hotel without the price tag - Enjoyed our night in the family room. Small but perfectly ac
- great concept and location - the bold and beautiful red color capture your atention the m
- Great hotel lobby but bad room facilities - The hotel room is small. The bathroom floor never dries up,
- Great hotel with wonderful service - We enjoy our stay in Santa Grand Hotel in China Town distric
- Great hotel - very good. worth it to stay there. wished could hae stayed t
- Great Locatio - Great location and we can eat various of food outside the ho
- Great location - small rooms - This hotel is whitin walkingdistance of many important sight
- Great location at the heart of Chinatown - I stayed for 4 days for half business and half sightseeing.
- Great location but disappointing room - i really like the room at the beginning. i thought i was goi
- great location but noisy rooms - I arrived couple of hours early to the hotel early and the r
- Great location but small rooms - Good stay to spend the night. Recommended stay for tourist,
- Great location but small rooms - Hotel is near to Chinatown MRT station, you can go to Clark
- Great location but small rooms - it's a very new hotel and it was only 4 days old of it's 'gr
- Great location but small rooms - Staffs are friendly. Breakfast was simple but acceptable for
- Great location but small rooms - This is my second stay here, love the area, some members of
- Great location but tiny room - Great location and tidy room. However, the room as well as b
- Great location but tiny rooms and Noisy at night - There is two Santa Grand Hotel at the same road. Not many pe
- Great Location but very small room - Ambience of the hotel is good, no lift but have escalators.
- Great location for shopping, but small room - good place, very near mrt, good shopping around, good foods
- Great location, but small rooms - Great location but small rooms.Nice services, friendly count
- Great location, clean hotel and good service - Really nice when I stay 2 night in this hotel. Hotel very cl
- Great location, good service, great stay.... - Fantastic stay in a great location. MRT & Food are a stone t
- Great location, very small rooms - As i was on business i didnt spend alot of time in the hotel
- Great Location -
- Great location - overall a nice and pleasant stay at the hotel. would come ba
- Great location - Second time coming back to this place. The hotel is nice and
- Great Location - The hotel is in city area, convenience for you to go any pla
- Great Location - the hotel is located in the heart of chinatown. it is also
- Great location - the room size was just nice. the location is perfect. food a
- Great location - The rooms are full of ancient things like China old style wi
- Great Locaton but small room - Checking in was no problem.. but i thought the bellboy (or i
- Great Place, Great Location - I stayed for 5 days in the smallest room I have ever been in
- Great red hotel - red carpet, red wal every where is all red which i love it s
- Great Service - the staff are polite and helpful, they also give free coffee
- Great Welcome but the room so noisy. - So noisy when sleep. Can't sleep well every night.
- HOTEL CENTRALLY LOCATED -
- Interesting building - This hotel feels a lot like a youth hostel, especially if yo
- Interesting hotel. Very unique decor and feel - there is some confusion between two separate buildings for t
- Lai Chun Yuen - The hotel is clean and nicely done up..
Upon entering, the
- Location is great but room is too small - the staffs were nice, friendly.. Room is clean but too small
- location is great but very noisy, small rooms - the location is great, but it is very noisy there.
- Lovely hotel and service with a smile - please review the most recent customers'special request and
- Lovely hotel and service with a smile - The bedroom was very small but had balcony and very clean ro
- Lovely hotel in the heart of Chinatown - Wonderful place to stay in Chinatown. Very close to MRT, no
- Lovely hotel with awesome deco. Small but cosy. - Small but cosy room. Reasonably clean and very comfortable b
- Lovely hotel, and services. - I have enjoy my stay, with great customer services.
- Lovely small hotel with a friendly welcome - I was very pleased with the hotel. The staff are very friend
- miniscule room with no window-living in a vacuum - Room smelt mouldy due to bad drainage in the shower. Choice
- my most favorite hotel despite the small ares - I enjoy the stay here and I don't mind coming back again if
- nice and clean room - In china town , this hotel is the best choice for price and
- Nice compact room, good location - It was nice. Only complaint is the bathroom had no ventilat
- Nice decor but too small & cramp - Nice decor but too small & cramp no windows alittle noisy as
- Nice Hotel and Location - The hotel is easy to find, staff are warm and accommodating.
- Nice hotel lobby and friendly front desk staffs - everything is fine accept the rooms are too small. but if yo
- Nice hotel, good location - stayed here in 06/2012 for 3 nights. pretty nice hotel, frie
- Nice location - Very convenient location, just a few minutes of walk from Ch
- Nice place to stay - If you are looking for a great location with decent price, t
- nice room size - I get a bigger room this time as compare to last trip, so it
- Nice room with a balcony - It's a historical building with 100 over years history and i
- Nice stay very well located with friendly stuffs -
- Noisy rooms, - The room was very noisy, the only towels were bath towels an
- Ok hotel, good location within Chinatown - the hotel hotel lobby has nice ambienece but the room is rea
- Ok place in Chinatown - the hotel is in a good location and at times can have a very
- Overall quite good but room is a bit small - The location is very convenient. I like the breakfast a lot.
- Quick Singapore tour - Nice hotel in the heart of China Town with good access to al