A good night’s sleep can make or break a holiday. That’s why these five quiet hotels are going the extra mile to insure guests can sightsee by day and drift off to dreamland at night. Located in the heart of some of the most popular places to travel in the world, these quiet hotels guarantee soundproof rooms in popular neighborhoods buzzing with activities. Enjoy the best of both worlds by booking a quiet hotel in London near Buckingham Palace or shake off the glitz of Tokyo in a sunken bathtub nestled in a quiet room above Tokyo Station.
1. Swissôtel Amsterdam | Amsterdam, Netherlands
With 111 soundproof rooms and a front-row seat to some of Amsterdam’s most popular attractions, Swissôtel Amsterdam offers everything travelers need for an awesome holiday. Wake up refreshed and stroll to nearby landmarks like the Nationaal Monument and Dam Square.
Swissôtel Amsterdam also is set in Amsterdam’s museum district, so guests can make the rounds to Body Worlds science museum, Red Lights Secrets sex museum and the Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum Amsterdam. The Rembrandt House Museum and Huis Marseille, Museum for Photography also are in the area.
Along with quiet rooms that guarantee a good night’s sleep, Swissôtel Amsterdam maintains a pet-free and smoke-free atmosphere. Pets and smoking are not allowed anywhere on the premises.
Secret places to chill in Amsterdam
- Distillery ‘T Nieuwe Diep – quaint restaurant with pond views in Flevopark
- Theehuis De Akermolen – non-profit tea house near Amsterdam Forest
- Begijnhof, Amsterdam – 15th-century women’s religious community featuring a courtyard and plenty of peace and quiet in the heart of Amsterdam
- Schellingwouderpark – lush park in Schellingwoude with picnic areas and summertime swimming spots
- Vondelbunker – former bomb shelter in Vondelpark that now serves as an exhibition center and micro beer brewery
- De Cantina (Cantina Nieuw West – het Rijk van de Keizer) – restaurant in Amsterdam-West featuring locally-grown ingredients and quirky hang-outs. Grab a hammock by the car wreck and enjoy lunch!
Check In to Swissôtel Amsterdam, Step Out to Flevopark
2. The Kitano New York Hotel | New York City, USA
It’s hard to believe that a quiet place exists in the throws of Manhattan, but The Kitano New York Hotel promises a no-noise stay right next to some of New York City’s most famous attractions. Guests sleep soundly next door to Central Park and Rockefeller Center when they are tucked safely away behind double-paned soundproof windows. Down comforters, deep tubs in marble bathrooms and pillow-top mattresses add to a restful stay as well.
Enjoy day tours of several attractions within walking distance of The Kitano New York Hotel. The Empire State Building is a 2-minute walk; Times Square is a mile down the road; and Grand Central Station is 3 minutes away.
Quiet places to visit in New York City
- Rose Main Reading Room – public library located on the corner of 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, just 2 minutes from The Kitano Hotel New York
- Inwood Hill Park – stretching along the Hudson River, NYC’s last natural forest features several historic landmarks, including the Indian Caves and Muscota Marsh. See Yankee Stadium on the 10-minute ride there!
- The NoMad Hotel Library Bar – quaint hangout in The NoMad Hotel. Guests at The Kitano can stroll down Park Avenue to find this quiet oasis.
- Morgan Library and Museum – next door to The Kitano, this art museum and research library showcases historic books, manuscripts and literary collections
- Louis Valentino, Jr. Park and Pier – view the Statue of Liberty or watch kayakers on the waterfront at this park located just over the bay in Brooklyn
Check In to The Kitano New York Hotel, Step Out to the Empire State Building
3. The Dorchester | London, UK
Gaze out at crowds in Hyde Park and never hear a sound from the comfort of a plush room at The Dorchester. One of London’s top quiet hotels, The Dorchester recognized the importance of a good night’s sleep upon its opening in 1931 and constructed each room with draft-free windows and soundproofed walls. Since then, the hotel has upped its claim on silence by adding triple-glazed windows, solid mahogany doors and triple curtains that absorb sound from nearby Buckingham Palace festivities.
Enjoy a stress-free – and quiet – stay in one of London’s busiest areas, where popular London sights like Big Ben and Westminster Abbey are just a short walk away. Also nearby are London’s most visited museums, all of which offer free tours. Spend a quiet day roaming through Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum.
Places to chill in & outside London
- Epping Forest – take a day trip from London to this peaceful woodlands filled with walking trails, rivers and ponds. Epping Forest is a 45-minute drive northeast of London.
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew – find a Treetop Walkway and flora and fauna from around the globe in Richmond, about 7.5 miles west of central London.
- Eel Pie Island – renowned as a former hotspot for 1960s rock and jazz concerts, Eel Pie Island is now a scenic residential community laced with art studios and funky houses.
- Battersea Park – built along the River Thames, Battersea Park is perfect for boating and biking. It also features a peace pagoda, a playground and a children’s zoo.
- The National Poetry Library – get lost in contemporary UK poetry on the fifth floor of Royal Festival Hall.
Check In to The Dorchester, Step Out to Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
4. The Tokyo Station Hotel | Tokyo, Japan
Guests never know they are sleeping in one of the busiest metro stations in the world when they book a stay at The Tokyo Station Hotel. Located across from the Marunouchi Building – right next door to Japan’s famed bullet train lines, The Tokyo Station Hotel takes extra measures to beat the noise. Guests rest in silence from behind two layers of double-paned windows, steel-framed concrete walls and thick blackout curtains that block the 4 a.m. sunrise in the Land of the Rising Sun!
Guests are close enough to walk to some of Tokyo’s popular attractions, like MITSUKOSI Ginza Store, Imperial Palace and Akihabara Electric Town. But never leaving the confines of this quiet hotel is also an option. The Tokyo Station Hotel offers a sauna and massage services and a stunning view of the area, as well as a sprawling breakfast buffet, from The Atrium restaurant on the fourth floor.
Off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods to visit in Tokyo
- Yanaka – take the Yamanote Line and arrive in 20 minutes.
- Kagurazaka – take the Tozai Line from Tokyo Station. Kagurazaka is 23 minutes away.
- Daikanyama – the Yamanote line goes directly to Daikanyama from Tokyo Station. The trip is 37 minutes.
- Nakameguro – travel 40 minutes on the Yamanote Line.
- Jiyugaoka – to get to Jiyugaoka in Meguro, take the Keihintohoku Line and change to the Tokyu-Oimachi Line at Oimachi Station. The trip is about 40 minutes.
Check In to The Tokyo Station Hotel, Step Out to Kagurazaka
5. Hotel Fort Canning | Singapore
Surrounded by the tranquil grounds of Fort Canning Park, Hotel Fort Canning may offer the most secluded accommodations in Singapore. Snuggle up in luxury rooms far away from crowds and city noise, and soak in a tub overlooking rare green space in Singapore. Stay on site to relax in two swimming pools or work out in a fully-equipped gym or sip a glass of wine at The Salon from Hotel Fort Canning’s prize collection.
Guests can step directly on to Fort Canning Park and reach the National Museum of Singapore in just 7 minutes on foot. Orchard Road is a 15-minute walk, and Clarke Quay and Boat Quay are just around the corner.
Quiet spots to chill in Singapore
- Yishun Dam – next to Seletar Airport, Yishun Dam offers scenic views of the Lower Seletar Reservoir and surrounding cityscape.
- East Coast Park – find white sand beaches, stunning sunsets and mountains of street food on the southeast coast of Singapore.
- Pulau Ubin – take a ferry to Singapore’s secluded island that features Ketam Mountain Bike Park and Butterfly Hill.
- Japanese Cemetery Park – enjoy a quiet stroll through this historic cemetery with manicured lawns and landmarks.
- Gardens By The Bay East – sit in the marina and admire Singapore’s skyline from afar.
Check In to Hotel Fort Canning, Step Out to Yishun Dam
This post is also available in: ไทย