More about Chaiya
Discover the Hidden Gems of Chaiya in Surat Thani, Thailand
Chaiya is a charming town in Surat Thani, Thailand that is often overlooked by tourists. However, this hidden gem is a must-visit destination for travelers who want to experience the authentic Thai way of life. Chaiya is a small town that is surrounded by lush greenery and is home to several ancient temples, traditional markets, and beautiful beaches.
One of the most interesting things about Chaiya is that it is an important historical site in Thailand. The town was once the capital of the Srivijaya Kingdom, which was a powerful empire that ruled over Southeast Asia in the 7th to 13th centuries. Today, visitors can explore the ancient ruins of the Srivijaya Kingdom at the Chaiya National Museum, which is located in the heart of the town.
Top Reasons to Include Chaiya in Your Thailand Itinerary
There are several reasons why you should include Chaiya in your Thailand itinerary. Firstly, the town is home to several ancient temples that are worth visiting. The most famous temple in Chaiya is the Wat Phra Borommathat Chaiya, which is a beautiful temple that is believed to date back to the 7th century. The temple is known for its stunning architecture and is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike.
Another reason to visit Chaiya is to experience the authentic Thai way of life. Unlike other touristy destinations in Thailand, Chaiya is a small town that is not overrun by tourists. This means that you can get a glimpse of the local way of life and experience the Thai culture firsthand.
Lastly, Chaiya is home to several beautiful beaches that are perfect for a relaxing holiday. The most popular beach in Chaiya is the Laem Pho Beach, which is a long stretch of white sand that is surrounded by palm trees. The beach is not crowded and is a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and taking a leisurely stroll.
Get to Chaiya with Ease: A Guide to Transportation Options
Getting to Chaiya is relatively easy, as the town is well-connected to other parts of Thailand. The most convenient way to get to Chaiya is by flying to Surat Thani Airport, which is located around 50 kilometers away from the town. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to Chaiya.
If you are traveling from Bangkok, you can take a train or a bus to Surat Thani and then take a taxi or a bus to Chaiya. The journey from Bangkok to Surat Thani takes around 10-12 hours by train and around 9-10 hours by bus.
Once you are in Chaiya, the best way to get around is by renting a motorbike or a bicycle. This will give you the freedom to explore the town at your own pace and discover its hidden gems.
10 Fun Things to Do in Chaiya for a Memorable Stay
There are several fun things to do in Chaiya that will make your stay in the town a memorable one. Here are some of the top activities that you should consider:
1. Visit the Chaiya National Museum to learn about the history of the Srivijaya Kingdom.
2. Explore the ancient ruins of Wat Phra Borommathat Chaiya.
3. Take a stroll through the Chaiya Old Town and admire the traditional Thai architecture.
4. Visit the local markets to taste the delicious Thai street food.
5. Take a boat ride along the Tapi River and enjoy the scenic views.
6. Visit the Laem Pho Beach and soak up the sun.
7. Rent a motorbike and explore the surrounding countryside.
8. Attend a local festival and experience the Thai culture.
9. Visit the Wat Suan Mokkhaphalaram, which is a famous meditation center.
10. Take a cooking class and learn how to make traditional Thai dishes.
Book Your Chaiya Accommodation with Agoda.com for the Best Deals
When it comes to finding the best accommodation in Chaiya, Agoda.com is the go-to website for travelers. Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels and resorts in Chaiya that cater to all budgets and preferences. Whether you are looking for a luxury resort or a budget-friendly guesthouse, you can find it on Agoda.com.
One of the advantages of booking your Chaiya accommodation with Agoda.com is that you can get the best deals and discounts. Agoda.com offers exclusive promotions and discounts that can help you save money on your accommodation. Moreover, Agoda.com has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to search for and book your ideal hotel in Chaiya.
The Best Time to Visit Chaiya: Weather and Festivals
The best time to visit Chaiya is during the dry season, which runs from December to February. During this time, the weather is cool and dry, making it perfect for outdoor activities and sightseeing. The temperatures range from 20 to 30 degrees Celsius, which is comfortable for most travelers.
Another great time to visit Chaiya is during the Songkran Festival, which is Thailand's New Year celebration. The festival takes place in mid-April and is celebrated with water fights, street parties, and traditional ceremonies. The festival is a great way to experience the Thai culture and have fun with the locals.
Traveler Tips: What You Need to Know Before Visiting Chaiya
Before you visit Chaiya, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. Firstly, Chaiya is a small town that is not very touristy. This means that you should not expect to find many English-speaking locals or signs in English. Therefore, it is a good idea to learn some basic Thai phrases before you visit Chaiya.
Secondly, Chaiya is a conservative town, and visitors are expected to dress modestly when visiting temples and other religious sites. It is recommended to wear long pants or skirts and cover your shoulders.
Lastly, it is important to respect the local culture and traditions when visiting Chaiya. This means that you should avoid touching the head of a Thai person, as it is considered disrespectful. Moreover, it is important to remove your shoes before entering temples and other religious sites.
Where to Stay in Chaiya: Top Hotels and Budget-Friendly Options
Chaiya offers a wide range of accommodation options that cater to all budgets and preferences. Here are some of the top hotels and budget-friendly options in Chaiya:
1. Roong Arun Resort: This is a beautiful resort that is located near the Laem Pho Beach. The resort offers comfortable rooms, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant.
2. Chaiya Resort: This is a budget-friendly option that offers clean and comfortable rooms. The resort is located in the heart of Chaiya and is close to the local markets and temples.
3. Lim Lay Resort: This is a mid-range option that offers spacious rooms and a beautiful garden. The resort is located near the Chaiya Old Town and is a great spot for relaxation.
4. Laem Pho Beach Resort: This is a beachfront resort that offers stunning views of the sea. The resort offers comfortable rooms, an outdoor pool, and a restaurant.
5. Veerada Boutique Home: This is a budget-friendly option that offers clean and comfortable rooms. The guesthouse is located near the Chaiya National Museum and is a great spot for budget-conscious travelers.
What to Eat in Chaiya: Must-Try Local Delicacies
Chaiya is known for its delicious street food and local delicacies. Here are some of the must-try dishes in Chaiya:
1. Khao Yam: This is a traditional Thai salad that is made with rice, vegetables, and herbs. It is a healthy and delicious dish that is perfect for lunch.
2. Kua Kling: This is a spicy stir-fry dish that is made with meat, chili, and herbs. It is a popular dish in Southern Thailand and is a must-try for spicy food lovers.
3. Kanom Jeen: This is a dish that is made with rice noodles and a spicy curry sauce. It is a popular breakfast dish in Chaiya and is a great way to start your day.
4. Roti: This is a type of flatbread that is commonly found in Southern Thailand. It is usually served with a sweet or savory filling and is a great snack.
Getting Around Chaiya: Transportation Options for Tourists
The best way to get around Chaiya is by renting a motorbike or a bicycle. This will give you the freedom to explore the town at your own pace and discover its hidden gems.
If you are not comfortable driving a motorbike, you can take a tuk-tuk or a taxi to get around Chaiya. However, these options can be more expensive than renting a motorbike or a bicycle.
Another way to get around Chaiya is by taking a songthaew, which is a shared taxi. Songthaews are a cheap and convenient way to get around Chaiya, and they operate on fixed routes. However, they can be crowded and uncomfortable during peak hours.
In conclusion, Chaiya is a hidden gem in Surat Thani, Thailand that is worth visiting for its ancient temples, beautiful beaches, and authentic Thai way of life. Whether you are a history buff, a foodie, or a nature lover, Chaiya has something to offer for everyone. Book your Chaiya accommodation with Agoda.com and get ready for a memorable holiday in Thailand.