More about Volakas
Discovering the Hidden Gems of Volakas, Greece
Nestled in the heart of the Rhodope Mountains of Greece lies the picturesque village of Volakas. With a population of just over 1,000, Volakas is a hidden gem that offers a unique and authentic Greek experience. The village is known for its stunning natural beauty, traditional architecture, and warm hospitality.
Volakas is a small village, but it has a rich history that dates back to ancient times. The village is home to the ruins of a Byzantine castle, which was built in the 6th century. The castle overlooks the village and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Visitors can explore the castle ruins and learn about the history of the area.
One of the most fascinating things about Volakas is its traditional architecture. The village is filled with beautiful stone houses, narrow streets, and charming courtyards. The houses are built in the traditional Macedonian style, which is characterized by stone walls, wooden roofs, and colorful shutters. Visitors can take a stroll through the village and admire the architecture, or even stay in one of the traditional stone houses that have been converted into hotels.
Why Volakas Should Be Your Next Travel Destination
Volakas is the perfect destination for travelers who are looking for a unique and authentic Greek experience. The village is off the beaten path and offers a glimpse into traditional Greek life. Visitors can explore the village, hike in the surrounding mountains, and relax in the natural hot springs.
One of the main reasons to visit Volakas is its natural beauty. The village is surrounded by the Rhodope Mountains, which offer stunning views and endless opportunities for hiking and exploring. The mountains are home to a variety of wildlife, including bears, wolves, and eagles. Visitors can take a guided tour of the mountains or explore on their own.
Another reason to visit Volakas is its hot springs. The village is home to several natural hot springs, which are believed to have healing properties. Visitors can relax in the hot springs and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the mineral-rich water.
Exploring Volakas: Fun Things to Do and See
Volakas may be a small village, but it offers plenty of things to see and do. Visitors can explore the village, hike in the mountains, and relax in the hot springs. Here are some of the top things to do and see in Volakas:
- Visit the Byzantine castle ruins
- Take a stroll through the traditional stone houses
- Hike in the Rhodope Mountains
- Relax in the natural hot springs
- Visit the local museums and galleries
- Attend one of the village's traditional festivals
Traveling to Volakas: Tips and Tricks for a Hassle-Free Trip
Traveling to Volakas is relatively easy, but there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure a hassle-free trip. Here are some tips and tricks for traveling to Volakas:
- The nearest airport to Volakas is in Kavala, which is about a 2-hour drive away. Visitors can rent a car at the airport or take a taxi to Volakas.
- The best way to get around Volakas is on foot. The village is small and easily walkable.
- English is not widely spoken in Volakas, so it's a good idea to learn a few basic Greek phrases before traveling.
- The village is located in the mountains, so visitors should be prepared for cooler temperatures, even in the summer months.
- Visitors should bring comfortable shoes for hiking and exploring the village.
Where to Stay in Volakas: The Best Accommodations for Every Budget
Volakas may be a small village, but it offers a variety of accommodations to suit every budget. Visitors can choose from traditional stone houses, cozy guesthouses, and luxurious hotels. Here are some of the best accommodations in Volakas:
- Aloni Toy Kir Thanasi Hotel & Spa: This luxurious hotel is located in the heart of the village and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. The hotel features a spa, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Aloni Hotel: This traditional stone house has been converted into a cozy guesthouse. The rooms are decorated in a traditional style and feature wooden ceilings and stone walls.
- Ξενωνας Φαιδρα - Pansion Fedra: This family-run guesthouse offers comfortable rooms and a warm welcome. The guesthouse is located in the heart of the village and is just a short walk from the hot springs.
- Aloni Hotel & Spa: This charming hotel is located in a restored 19th-century mansion. The hotel features a spa, a restaurant, and a bar.
Indulging in the Local Cuisine of Volakas, Greece
One of the best things about traveling to Greece is the food, and Volakas is no exception. The village is known for its traditional cuisine, which is made with fresh, local ingredients. Visitors can indulge in traditional Greek dishes like moussaka, souvlaki, and tzatziki. Here are some of the best places to eat in Volakas:
- To Koutouki Tou Nikola: This traditional taverna serves homemade Greek dishes made with fresh, local ingredients. The restaurant is located in the heart of the village and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Ta Kalamia: This cozy restaurant serves traditional Greek dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant is located in a restored stone house and features a charming courtyard.
- To Steki Tou Thanasi: This family-run restaurant serves traditional Greek dishes made with recipes that have been passed down for generations. The restaurant is located in the heart of the village and offers a warm welcome to visitors.
When to Visit Volakas: The Best Season for Your Vacation
The best time to visit Volakas depends on what you're looking for. The village is beautiful year-round, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. Here's a breakdown of the best seasons to visit Volakas:
- Spring: Spring is a great time to visit Volakas for hiking and exploring the mountains. The weather is mild, and the wildflowers are in bloom.
- Summer: Summer is the most popular time to visit Volakas. The weather is warm, and the natural hot springs are perfect for relaxing.
- Fall: Fall is a great time to visit Volakas for the changing colors of the leaves. The weather is mild, and the mountains are beautiful.
- Winter: Winter is a great time to visit Volakas for skiing and snowboarding. The village is located near several ski resorts, and the mountains are covered in snow.
Booking Your Volakas Accommodation Made Easy with Agoda.com
Booking your Volakas accommodation has never been easier thanks to Agoda.com. Agoda.com offers a wide range of accommodations in Volakas, from traditional stone houses to luxurious hotels. Visitors can easily search for accommodations based on their budget and preferences. Agoda.com also offers reviews from other travelers, so visitors can make an informed decision when booking their accommodations.
Getting Around Volakas: Transportation Options for Tourists
The best way to get around Volakas is on foot. The village is small and easily walkable. However, visitors may want to rent a car to explore the surrounding mountains and nearby attractions. Visitors can rent a car at the airport or in nearby towns. Taxis are also available in Volakas for short trips around the village.