More about Meru
Discovering Meru, Kenya: Fun Facts and Reasons to Visit
Meru is a town located in the eastern part of Kenya, about 200 km from Nairobi. It is the largest town in Meru County and is surrounded by beautiful landscapes, including the Nyambene Hills and Mount Kenya. The town is known for its rich cultural heritage, wildlife, and agricultural produce. Meru is home to the Meru National Park, which is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kenya. The park is home to a variety of wildlife species, including elephants, buffaloes, lions, and leopards.
Meru is also known for its coffee and tea plantations. The town is the largest producer of coffee in Kenya and is home to some of the best coffee farms in the country. The coffee produced in Meru is known for its unique taste and aroma. Another popular agricultural product in Meru is miraa, a plant that is chewed for its stimulating effects. The plant is grown in the region and is a major source of income for many people.
Meru is a great destination for travelers looking for an authentic African experience. The town is not as crowded as other popular tourist destinations in Kenya, making it a perfect destination for those looking for a peaceful and relaxing holiday. The town is also home to several cultural events throughout the year, including the Meru Cultural Festival, which celebrates the traditions and customs of the Meru people.
How to Get to Meru, Kenya: A Comprehensive Travel Guide
Meru is easily accessible by road and air. The town is located on the Nairobi-Meru highway, which is a well-maintained road that connects Nairobi to other towns in the eastern part of Kenya. Travelers can take a bus or a private car from Nairobi to Meru. The journey takes about four hours, depending on traffic.
For those who prefer to travel by air, there are several flights that operate between Nairobi and Meru. The flights are operated by local airlines and take about 45 minutes. The flights are convenient for travelers who want to save time and avoid the long journey by road.
Once in Meru, travelers can get around the town by public transport or by taxi. Public transport is cheap and convenient, but it can be crowded and uncomfortable. Taxis are more comfortable but are more expensive than public transport.
Top Things to Do in Meru, Kenya: A Traveler's Guide
Meru is a great destination for travelers looking for an authentic African experience. There are several things to do in the town, including:
1. Visit the Meru National Park: The park is home to a variety of wildlife species, including elephants, buffaloes, lions, and leopards. It is a great destination for wildlife enthusiasts and nature lovers.
2. Explore the Nyambene Hills: The hills are located near Meru and are a great destination for hiking and trekking. The hills offer stunning views of the surrounding landscapes and are home to several wildlife species.
3. Visit the coffee and tea plantations: Meru is the largest producer of coffee in Kenya and is home to some of the best coffee farms in the country. The coffee produced in Meru is known for its unique taste and aroma. Travelers can visit the coffee and tea plantations and learn about the process of growing and harvesting coffee and tea.
4. Attend the Meru Cultural Festival: The festival celebrates the traditions and customs of the Meru people. It is a great opportunity for travelers to learn about the culture and traditions of the people of Meru.
5. Visit the Meru Museum: The museum is located in the town and is home to several artifacts and exhibits that showcase the history and culture of the Meru people.
Why Book Your Meru Hotel with Agoda.com: The Benefits
Agoda.com is a leading travel website specializing in affordable and hassle-free hotel bookings. When booking a hotel in Meru with Agoda.com, travelers can enjoy several benefits, including:
1. Wide selection of hotels: Agoda.com offers a wide selection of hotels in Meru, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxury hotels.
2. Best price guarantee: Agoda.com offers the best price guarantee, ensuring that travelers get the best possible price for their hotel bookings.
3. Easy booking process: Booking a hotel in Meru with Agoda.com is easy and hassle-free. Travelers can book their hotel online and receive instant confirmation.
4. 24/7 customer support: Agoda.com offers 24/7 customer support, ensuring that travelers can get assistance whenever they need it.
5. Secure payment options: Agoda.com offers secure payment options, ensuring that travelers can book their hotel with confidence.
The Best Time to Visit Meru, Kenya: A Seasonal Guide
The best time to visit Meru is during the dry season, which runs from June to October. The dry season is the best time to see wildlife in the Meru National Park, as the animals tend to gather around water sources during this time. The weather during the dry season is also pleasant, with clear skies and cool temperatures.
The wet season, which runs from November to May, is not the best time to visit Meru. The wet season is characterized by heavy rainfall, which can make it difficult to travel around the town. The rainfall also makes it difficult to see wildlife in the Meru National Park, as the animals tend to disperse during this time.
Meru Travel Tips: What You Need to Know Before You Go
Before traveling to Meru, there are several things that travelers should keep in mind:
1. Visa requirements: Travelers to Kenya are required to have a visa. The visa can be obtained online or upon arrival at the airport.
2. Health requirements: Travelers to Kenya are required to have a yellow fever vaccination certificate. It is also recommended that travelers take malaria prophylaxis.
3. Currency: The currency used in Kenya is the Kenyan shilling. Travelers should exchange their currency at authorized exchange bureaus or banks.
4. Safety: Meru is a safe destination for travelers, but it is recommended that travelers take precautions to ensure their safety. Travelers should avoid carrying large amounts of cash or valuables and should be aware of their surroundings at all times.
Where to Stay in Meru, Kenya: Accommodation Options for Every Budget
Meru offers a wide range of accommodation options for travelers, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxury hotels. Some of the popular hotels in Meru include:
1. Alba Hotel Meru: This is a luxury hotel located in the heart of Meru. The hotel offers spacious rooms, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
2. THREE STEERS HOTEL: This is a mid-range hotel located in Meru. The hotel offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
3. Sunrise Guest House: This is a budget-friendly guest house located in Meru. The guest house offers basic accommodation, including shared bathrooms and a communal kitchen.
4. Meru Milimani Resort: This is a luxury resort located in Meru. The resort offers spacious rooms, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
5. Meru Slopes Hotel: This is a mid-range hotel located in Meru. The hotel offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
What to Eat in Meru, Kenya: A Foodie's Guide
Meru is known for its delicious and unique cuisine. Some of the popular dishes in Meru include:
1. Mukimo: This is a traditional dish made from mashed potatoes, beans, and vegetables. It is a popular dish in Meru and is usually served with meat or fish.
2. Nyama Choma: This is a popular dish in Kenya and is made from grilled meat, usually goat or beef. It is usually served with ugali, a type of maize meal.
3. Chapati: This is a type of flatbread that is popular in Kenya. It is usually served with meat or vegetables.
4. Pilau: This is a rice dish that is flavored with spices and meat. It is a popular dish in Meru and is usually served during special occasions.
Getting Around Meru, Kenya: Transportation Options for Tourists
Meru is a small town and is easy to get around on foot. However, for those who prefer to travel by public transport or taxi, there are several options available.
Public transport in Meru consists of matatus, which are minibusses that operate on designated routes. Matatus are cheap and convenient but can be crowded and uncomfortable.
Taxis are also available in Meru and are more comfortable than matatus. Taxis are more expensive than matatus but are a good option for those who prefer comfort and convenience. It is recommended that travelers negotiate the fare with the taxi driver before getting into the taxi.