More about Eswatini
Discover the Best of Eswatini: Fun Facts and Reasons to Visit
Eswatini, formerly known as Swaziland, is one of the smallest countries in Africa, but it has a lot to offer to travelers who are looking for a unique and authentic experience. Here are some fun facts about Eswatini that will make you want to visit:
- Eswatini is one of the few remaining absolute monarchies in the world, ruled by King Mswati III since 1986.
- The country has a rich cultural heritage, with traditional dances, music, and crafts that are still practiced today.
- Eswatini is home to several wildlife reserves and national parks, where you can see elephants, rhinos, lions, and other African animals in their natural habitat.
- The country is known for its colorful and vibrant festivals, such as the Umhlanga Reed Dance, where young women dance and sing to celebrate their virginity and womanhood.
- Eswatini is also a great destination for adventure seekers, with opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, and white-water rafting.
If you're looking for a destination that combines culture, nature, and adventure, Eswatini is the place to be.
How to Go to Eswatini: Tips and Tricks for Travelers
Eswatini is located in Southern Africa, bordered by South Africa to the west and Mozambique to the east. The easiest way to get to Eswatini is by flying to Johannesburg, South Africa, and then taking a shuttle or rental car to the country. The drive from Johannesburg to Eswatini takes about 4-5 hours, depending on the border crossing.
Another option is to fly to Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, and then take a bus or rental car to Eswatini. However, this route is less popular and may take longer.
When traveling to Eswatini, it's important to have a valid passport and visa, if required. US citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 60 days. It's also recommended to have travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and trip cancellations.
Unforgettable Experiences: Fun Things to Do in Eswatini
Eswatini offers a wide range of activities and experiences that will make your trip unforgettable. Here are some of the top things to do in Eswatini:
- Visit the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, a nature reserve that is home to zebras, antelopes, warthogs, and other animals. You can go on a guided tour, hike one of the trails, or even go horseback riding.
- Explore the Hlane Royal National Park, one of the largest protected areas in Eswatini. Here, you can see elephants, lions, rhinos, and other wildlife up close. The park also offers guided game drives and bush walks.
- Stay at the Silverstone Lodge, a luxury lodge located in the heart of Eswatini's highveld. The lodge offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, as well as a spa, restaurant, and outdoor pool.
- Try your luck at the Happy Valley Hotel and Casino, a popular entertainment destination in Eswatini. The casino offers a variety of slot machines and table games, as well as live music and shows.
- Stay at the Benka LifeStyle Country Cottages, a charming accommodation option located in the Malkerns Valley. The cottages are surrounded by lush gardens and offer a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.
- Visit the Mantenga Cultural Village, a living museum that showcases the traditional Swazi way of life. Here, you can see traditional dances, crafts, and ceremonies, and learn about Swazi history and culture.
Why Use Agoda.com to Book a Hotel in Eswatini?
When planning your trip to Eswatini, it's important to find the right accommodation that suits your needs and budget. Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels, lodges, and guesthouses in Eswatini, from budget-friendly options to luxury resorts. Here are some reasons why you should use Agoda.com to book your hotel in Eswatini:
- Agoda.com offers competitive prices and discounts on hotels in Eswatini, so you can save money on your trip.
- With Agoda.com, you can easily compare different hotels and read reviews from other travelers, so you can make an informed decision.
- Agoda.com has a user-friendly website and mobile app that makes it easy to book your hotel and manage your reservation.
- Agoda.com offers 24/7 customer support, so you can get help with any questions or issues you may have during your trip.
The Best Season to Visit Eswatini: What You Need to Know
Eswatini has a subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The best time to visit Eswatini depends on your preferences and interests. Here are some things to consider:
- The dry season, from May to September, is the best time for wildlife viewing, as animals gather around waterholes and are easier to spot. The weather is also mild and pleasant during this time.
- The wet season, from October to April, is the best time for birdwatching and seeing the lush green landscapes of Eswatini. However, the weather can be hot and humid, and some roads may be impassable due to flooding.
- Eswatini is a popular destination during the Christmas and New Year holidays, as well as during the Umhlanga Reed Dance in August and the Bushfire Festival in May.
Traveling to Eswatini: Tips for a Hassle-Free Trip
Here are some tips to help you have a hassle-free trip to Eswatini:
- Make sure to bring comfortable and lightweight clothing, as well as a hat and sunscreen, as the sun can be strong in Eswatini.
- If you plan to drive in Eswatini, make sure to have a valid driver's license and insurance, and be aware of the local traffic rules and regulations.
- It's recommended to carry cash in Eswatini, as credit cards may not be accepted in some places. The local currency is the Swazi lilangeni, which is pegged to the South African rand.
- Be respectful of the local culture and customs, and dress modestly when visiting traditional villages or religious sites.
- It's important to stay hydrated in Eswatini, especially during the hot and dry season. Make sure to drink plenty of water and avoid tap water, which may not be safe to drink.
Where to Stay in Eswatini: A Guide to the Best Accommodations
Eswatini offers a variety of accommodation options, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxury lodges and resorts. Here are some of the best places to stay in Eswatini:
- Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary: This nature reserve offers several accommodation options, including traditional beehive huts, self-catering cottages, and a luxury lodge. All options offer stunning views of the surrounding landscapes and easy access to the wildlife and nature of Eswatini.
- Hlane Royal National Park: This park offers two accommodation options, a rustic campsite and a luxury lodge. Both options offer guided game drives and bush walks, as well as the opportunity to see elephants, lions, and other African animals up close.
- Silverstone Lodge: This luxury lodge is located in the heart of Eswatini's highveld, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The lodge features a spa, restaurant, and outdoor pool, as well as easy access to hiking and mountain biking trails.
- Happy Valley Hotel and Casino: This popular entertainment destination offers comfortable rooms, a casino, a restaurant, and live music and shows. The hotel is located in Ezulwini Valley, one of the most scenic areas of Eswatini.
- Benka LifeStyle Country Cottages: This charming accommodation option is located in the Malkerns Valley, surrounded by lush gardens and peaceful landscapes. The cottages offer a homey and cozy atmosphere, with all the amenities you need for a comfortable stay.
What to Eat in Eswatini: A Culinary Journey Through the Country
Eswatini offers a variety of traditional dishes that reflect the country's cultural heritage and local ingredients. Here are some of the must-try dishes in Eswatini:
- Umncweba: This is a traditional Swazi dish made with dried and salted meat, usually beef or game meat. It's often served with pap, a type of maize porridge.
- Sishwala: This is a thick porridge made with sorghum or maize flour, similar to polenta. It's often served with meat or vegetables and is a staple food in Eswatini.
- Emasi: This is a type of sour milk that is often used in cooking or as a drink. It's made by fermenting cow's milk with a special culture.
- Siphuphe setindlubu: This is a traditional dessert made with pumpkin, sugar, and spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. It's often served with custard or cream.
- Mageu: This is a traditional drink made with fermented maize meal, similar to a thin porridge. It's often served cold and is a popular drink in Eswatini.
Getting Around Eswatini: Transportation Options for Travelers
Eswatini is a small country, but it still offers several transportation options for travelers. Here are some of the best ways to get around Eswatini:
- Rental car: Renting a car is a popular option for travelers who want to explore Eswatini at their own pace. There are several rental car companies in Eswatini, and the roads are generally in good condition.
- Shuttle service: Several shuttle services operate between Johannesburg and Eswatini, as well as within the country. This is a convenient and affordable option for travelers who don't want to drive themselves.
- Public transport: Eswatini has a limited public transport system, with minibusses and taxis operating in the major towns and cities. However, this option may not be the most comfortable or reliable for travelers.
- Walking or cycling: Eswatini offers several hiking and mountain biking trails, as well as opportunities for walking and exploring on foot. This is a great way to experience the nature and culture of Eswatini up close.