Kamppi is part of Helsinki’s central business district. Its name comes from the Swedish word for ‘battle’, as Russian troops had barracks here in the 19th century. Later, it developed into an open market area. A redevelopment campaign completed in 2005 saw this area reworked into a pedestrian zone. While commercial tourists are better off to the east, closer to the city center, business travelers appreciate Kamppi’s access to facilities.
This area mixes historic and modern attractions. The Parliament Building is found here in sight of several hotels in Kamppi. The building was completed in 1931 and houses one of the most progressive governments in the world. Tours are offered on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays.
Another attraction in Kamppi is Tennispalatsi, a leisure and culture center. It was built in 1938 to be used for the 1952 Summer Olympics. Today, it has been partially converted into the 14-screen Finnkino Cinema Complex, the largest of its kind in Helsinki. In addition to newly released movies, the center also broadcasts operas and other cultural programs.
Accommodation in Kamppi has more modern appeal. Hotels are in the heart of a busy commercial area, and guests have easy access to shops and restaurants than sightseeing attractions. Many of hotels in Kamppi have classy bars that appeal to the older Helsinki crowd, making this a good place to mix and meet with locals.