More about Mexico Beach
Discover Fun Facts About Mexico Beach in Port Saint Joe
Mexico Beach is a hidden gem located in the Florida Panhandle, just a few miles east of Panama City. This small town is known for its pristine white-sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and laid-back vibe. But did you know that Mexico Beach is also home to some interesting facts?
For starters, Mexico Beach is one of the few places in the world where you can watch the sunrise and sunset over the water. This is because the town is situated on a narrow strip of land that juts out into the Gulf of Mexico. This unique location also makes Mexico Beach a great spot for fishing, boating, and other water activities.
Another fun fact about Mexico Beach is that it's the only place in the world where you can find the rarest seashell in North America – the Junonia. This elusive seashell is prized by collectors and beachcombers alike, and you might just get lucky and find one during your stay.
Top Reasons to Visit Mexico Beach, United States
Mexico Beach is the perfect destination for anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy some peace and quiet. Here are some of the top reasons why you should visit Mexico Beach:
1. The Beaches – Mexico Beach boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The soft white sand and crystal-clear waters are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing.
2. The Fishing – Mexico Beach is a popular destination for anglers of all skill levels. The Gulf of Mexico is teeming with fish, and you can catch everything from red snapper to grouper to tarpon.
3. The Wildlife – Mexico Beach is home to a variety of wildlife, including sea turtles, dolphins, and even manatees. You can take a dolphin-watching tour or go snorkeling to get up close and personal with these amazing creatures.
4. The Food – Mexico Beach has a thriving culinary scene, with plenty of restaurants serving up fresh seafood and other local specialties. Be sure to try the oysters, which are harvested right in the bay.
How to Go to Mexico Beach: A Comprehensive Guide
Getting to Mexico Beach is easy, and there are several options available depending on where you're coming from.
If you're flying into the area, the closest airport is Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP), which is located about 30 miles from Mexico Beach. From there, you can rent a car or take a shuttle to your hotel.
If you're driving, Mexico Beach is located on US Highway 98, which runs along the Gulf Coast. If you're coming from the east, take I-10 to exit 130 and then follow US 231 south to US 98. If you're coming from the west, take I-10 to exit 85 and then follow FL-331 south to US 98.
10 Fun Things to Do in Mexico Beach for an Unforgettable Vacation
There's no shortage of things to do in Mexico Beach, whether you're looking for adventure or relaxation. Here are some of the top activities to add to your itinerary:
1. Go Fishing – Mexico Beach is a top destination for fishing, with plenty of charters available for both deep-sea and inshore fishing.
2. Take a Dolphin-Watching Tour – Mexico Beach is home to a large population of dolphins, and you can take a tour to see them up close.
3. Explore St. Joseph Peninsula State Park – This beautiful state park is located just a few miles from Mexico Beach and features miles of pristine beaches, hiking trails, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
4. Go Snorkeling – The waters around Mexico Beach are teeming with marine life, and snorkeling is a great way to see it up close.
5. Visit the Mexico Beach Artificial Reef Association – This organization is dedicated to creating and maintaining artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico, and you can learn more about their efforts at their visitor center.
6. Rent a Kayak or Paddleboard – The calm waters of Mexico Beach are perfect for kayaking or paddleboarding, and you can rent equipment from several local outfitters.
7. Take a Sunset Cruise – Watching the sunset over the water is a must-do activity in Mexico Beach, and you can do it in style on a sunset cruise.
8. Go Shopping – Mexico Beach has several unique shops and boutiques where you can find everything from souvenirs to handmade crafts.
9. Play Golf – There are several golf courses located within a short drive of Mexico Beach, including the St. Joseph Bay Golf Club and the Panama Country Club.
10. Relax on the Beach – Of course, no trip to Mexico Beach would be complete without spending some time lounging on the beach. Grab a book, soak up the sun, and let your worries melt away.
Why Use Agoda.com to Book a Hotel in Mexico Beach
When it comes to booking a hotel in Mexico Beach, there are plenty of options available. However, using Agoda.com can make the process easier and more convenient.
Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels in Mexico Beach, from budget-friendly options to luxury resorts. You can search for hotels based on your preferred location, price range, and amenities, making it easy to find the perfect place to stay.
In addition, Agoda.com offers 24/7 customer service and a Best Price Guarantee, so you can be sure that you're getting the best deal possible. Plus, you can earn rewards points with every booking, which can be redeemed for future discounts.
The Best Season or Moment to Visit Mexico Beach
Mexico Beach is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit depends on your preferences.
If you're looking for warm weather and plenty of sunshine, the summer months (June-August) are the most popular. However, this is also peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices.
If you prefer cooler temperatures and fewer crowds, consider visiting in the spring (March-May) or fall (September-November). The weather is still mild, and you'll have more room to spread out on the beach.
Winter (December-February) is the quietest time of year in Mexico Beach, with cooler temperatures and fewer tourists. However, many of the local businesses and attractions may be closed or have limited hours during this time.
Traveler Tips: What You Need to Know Before Visiting Mexico Beach
Before you head to Mexico Beach, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Pack plenty of sunscreen and insect repellent, as the sun and bugs can be intense.
- Bring water shoes or sandals, as the beaches can be rocky in some areas.
- Be aware of the local wildlife, including alligators, snakes, and jellyfish.
- Respect the local environment and follow Leave No Trace principles.
- Check for any beach advisories or warnings before swimming or fishing.
Where to Stay in Mexico Beach: A Guide to Accommodations
Mexico Beach has a variety of accommodations to choose from, ranging from budget-friendly motels to luxury resorts. Here are some of the top options:
- Paradise Shores 305 – This beachfront condo features two bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a balcony with stunning ocean views.
- Paradise Shores 210 – Another beachfront condo with two bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a private balcony.
- Summerhouse 402 – This spacious condo features three bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a large balcony with ocean views.
- Sun & Fun, Unit 302 – A cozy one-bedroom condo with a full kitchen and a private balcony.
- Waterside Village 406 - Isle of View – This luxurious condo features two bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a private balcony with bay views.
What to Eat in Mexico Beach: A Foodie's Guide to Local Cuisine
Mexico Beach is known for its fresh seafood, and there are plenty of local restaurants serving up delicious dishes. Here are some of the must-try foods in Mexico Beach:
- Oysters – Mexico Beach is famous for its oysters, which are harvested right in the bay. Try them raw on the half shell or fried up with a side of hushpuppies.
- Shrimp – Gulf shrimp is another local specialty, and you can find it prepared in a variety of ways, from fried to grilled to boiled.
- Grouper – This flaky white fish is a staple of Gulf Coast cuisine, and you can find it on menus throughout Mexico Beach.
- Crab – Whether you prefer blue crab or stone crab, you'll find plenty of options in Mexico Beach.
- Key Lime Pie – No trip to Florida would be complete without a slice of key lime pie, and Mexico Beach has some of the best around.
Getting Around Mexico Beach: Transportation Options for Tourists
Mexico Beach is a small town, and most of the attractions and amenities are within walking distance of each other. However, if you need to get around town or explore the surrounding area, there are several transportation options available.
- Rental Car – You can rent a car at the airport or in town, which will give you the freedom to explore at your own pace.
- Golf Cart – Many of the local rental companies offer golf carts for rent, which are a fun and eco-friendly way to get around town.
- Bicycle – Mexico Beach has several bike rental shops, and there are plenty of bike paths and trails in the area.
- Shuttle – If you don't want to rent a car, you can take a shuttle from the airport or arrange for a private transfer.
No matter how you choose to get around, be sure to take your time and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of Mexico Beach.