Tokyo, Paris and New York City are the top destinations to ring in 2019 according to Agoda, one of the world’s fastest growing online travel agents (OTA), with more than a third more people opting to getaway to celebrate on New Year’s Eve (NYE).
A top ten NYE destination for many markets globally and number one for Chinese and Singaporean travelers, Tokyo’s appeal continues with a jam-packed itinerary of concerts, parades and light shows making it the perfect destination to cast off the old and welcome in the New Year.
It’s no wonder Paris, boasting endless themed parties, New Year countdowns at popular landmarks and shows for the whole family, has secured the top spot for NYE travel in Europe. The ‘City of Love’ is a top ten for their British neighbors as well as travelers from Israel, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
The ball drop at Times Square in New York City is one of the most iconic and star-driven celebrations of NYE in the world, so it comes as no surprise that New York City is the top North American destination for travelers globally and number two for Americans traveling domestically for NYE.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations (31 December 2018)
|1||Tokyo||Paris||New York City (NY)|
|2||Bangkok||London||Las Vegas (NV)|
|3||Taipei||Barcelona||Los Angeles (CA)|
|6||Pattaya||Amsterdam||San Francisco (CA)|
|8||Hong Kong||Prague||New Orleans (LA)|
- Agoda’s NYE travel data by origin market:
- Thailand is the most popular international destination for Australians traveling this year-end with Bangkok (#4), Phuket (#7) and Pattaya (#9) all making an appearance in the top ten.
- Tokyo has jumped up the ranking to second place in 2018 from sixth place last year.
- Unsurprisingly, Aussie’s love affair with Bali continues into 2019 with the island holding the number one spot again this year.
- Aussies staying closer to home this upcoming new year will likely be headed to Sydney (#3), Gold Coast (#5) or Melbourne (#6).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Australian Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Bali Bali Bali 2 Sydney Melbourne Tokyo 3 Melbourne Sydney Sydney 4 Gold Coast Bangkok Melbourne 5 Bangkok Gold Coast Bangkok 6 Phuket Tokyo Gold Coast 7 Tokyo Brisbane Phuket 8 Brisbane Phuket Singapore 9 Pattaya Pattaya Pattaya 10 Singapore Singapore Osaka
- Chinese travelers are looking to travel further afield to celebrate the year-end as local destinations such as Shanghai and Beijing drop out of top ten in favor of international destinations in Japan, Thailand and South Korea.
- Japan is the most popular region for Chinese travelers this upcoming NYE with Tokyo (#1), Osaka (#4), Kyoto (#7) and Sapporo (#8) taking four out of the top ten spots.
- Thailand is still a popular choice with Bangkok (#2), Chiang Mai (#9) and Phuket (#10) making an appearance in the top ten.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Chinese Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Shanghai Guangzhou Tokyo 2 Tokyo Shanghai Bangkok 3 Bangkok Hong Kong Hong Kong 4 Hong Kong Shenzhen Osaka 5 Guangzhou Tokyo Taipei 6 Seoul Bangkok Seoul 7 Beijing Beijing Kyoto 8 Phuket Seoul Sapporo 9 Chiang Mai Taipei Chiang Mai 10 Taipei Nanjing Phuket
- Indonesians are increasingly looking to celebrate the year-end further afield with four destinations (Tokyo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok) in the top ten this year, compared with only two in 2016 (Singapore and Kuala Lumpur).
- This year Bali takes the crown for most popular NYE destination from Jakarta, which has held the top spot the previous two years.
- Tokyo is an increasingly popular destination for Indonesians traveling for NYE, moving up from eighth place last year to fifth place in 2018.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Indonesian Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Jakarta Jakarta Bali 2 Bali Bali Yogyakarta 3 Bandung Bandung Jakarta 4 Yogyakarta Yogyakarta Bandung 5 Singapore Surabaya Tokyo 6 Surabaya Singapore Singapore 7 Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 8 Semarang Tokyo Bangkok 9 Bogor Malang Surabaya 10 Solo (Surakarta) Semarang Malang
- Israelis continue to celebrate NYE further afield with all top ten destinations in Asia and Europe for the last two years.
- Capital cities in Europe are especially popular for NYE with London, Berlin and Rome taking the top three spots this year.
- Thailand is the most popular country to celebrate NYE making up half of the top ten list, popular places are Bangkok (#4), Koh Phangan (#5), Koh Samui (#7), Phuket (#9) and Pattaya (#10).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Israeli Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 London Koh Phangan London 2 Berlin Rome Berlin 3 Bangkok London Rome 4 Koh Samui Berlin Bangkok 5 Phuket Koh Samui Koh Phangan 6 Tel Aviv Amsterdam Paris 7 New York (NY) Pattaya Koh Samui 8 Budapest Phuket Amsterdam 9 Pattaya Bangkok Phuket 10 Dubai Budapest Pattaya
- Japanese travelers are increasingly favoring domestic trips over long-haul getaways for year-end travel with local destinations making up four out of ten of the top destinations this year (Tokyo, Osaka, Okinawa and Kyoto), compared with only two in 2016 (Tokyo and Osaka).
- Tokyo in particular is increasing in popularity, moving up from fifth place in 2016 to the top spot in 2018
- For those headed abroad, Thailand is the most popular destination with Bangkok (#2), Pattaya (#5) and Phuket (#7) all making an appearance in the top ten
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Japanese Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Bangkok Bangkok Tokyo 2 Seoul Tokyo Bangkok 3 Pattaya Seoul Seoul 4 Taipei Pattaya Osaka 5 Tokyo Taipei Pattaya 6 Phuket Osaka Taipei 7 Hong Kong Phuket Phuket 8 Bali Bali Bali 9 Osaka Hong Kong Okinawa Main island 10 Shanghai Kyoto Kyoto
- Malaysians are visiting local South East Asia destinations to see in the New Year, with five destinations in the top ten this year (Bangkok, Taipei, Hat Yai Tokyo and Seoul), compared with only one in 2016 (Bangkok).
- Thailand is the most popular foreign country for Malaysian travelers, with Bangkok (#2) and Hat Yai (#6) taking two spots in the top ten this year.
- Those celebrating closer to home will be headed to Kuala Lumpur (#1), Penang (#2), Langkawi (#3), Malacca (#7) and Kuching (#9).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Malaysian Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 2 Malacca Malacca Bangkok 3 Penang Penang Penang 4 Bangkok Johor Bahru Langkawi 5 Johor Bahru Bangkok Taipei 6 Kota Kinabalu Ipoh Hat Yai 7 Langkawi Kota Kinabalu Malacca 8 Ipoh Port Dickson Tokyo 9 Cameron Highlands Langkawi Kuching 10 Port Dickson Kuching Seoul
- Agoda’s booking data shows more Filipinos looking to celebrate the year-end overseas in 2018, with five international destinations in the top ten this year (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul and Osaka), compared with only three in 2016 (Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore).
- Thailand is the most popular foreign country for Filipino travelers, with Tokyo (#2) and Osaka (#8) taking two spots this year.
- Those celebrating closer to home will be headed to Manila (#1), Cebu (#6), Baguio (#7), Boracay (#9) and Tagaytay (#10)
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for travelers from the Philippines (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Manila Manila Manila 2 Cebu Cebu Tokyo 3 Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong 4 Boracay Island Tokyo Taipei 5 Tokyo Boracay Island Seoul 6 Baguio Taipei Cebu 7 Tagaytay Baguio Baguio 8 Subic (Zambales) Palawan Osaka 9 Palawan Tagaytay Boracay Island 10 Singapore Seoul Tagaytay
- Cities in the Arab Peninsular are the most popular travel destinations for Saudis to celebrate the New Year, claiming six spots out of the top ten year-end destinations for Saudi travelers according to Agoda’s data.
- Dubai again scoops the popular destination for Saudis.
- London (#5), Istanbul (#7) and Kuala Lumpur (#10) are the top long-haul destinations.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for travelers from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Dubai Dubai Dubai 2 Manama Manama Medina 3 Mecca Mecca Mecca 4 Medina Medina Manama 5 Jeddah Manila London 6 Riyadh Bali Kuwait 7 Manila Istanbul Istanbul 8 Doha Jeddah Sharjah 9 Kuwait London Jeddaj 10 Sharjah Sharjah Kuala Lumpur
- Singaporeans are getting out of town to ring in the New Year as fellow Asian cities Bangkok (#1), Tokyo (#2) and Taipei (#3) are more popular than staycation celebrations in Singapore (#4) this year.
- Tokyo has jumped to the second spot from ninth in 2016.
- Neighboring Malaysia and Indonesia are also popular short-haul stops with Kuala Lumpur (#5), Johor Bahru (#6) and Batam Island (#7) still in the top ten.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Singaporean travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Singapore Singapore Bangkok 2 Johor Bahru Johor Bahru Tokyo 3 Bangkok Bangkok Taipei 4 Kuala Lumpur Batam Island Singapore 5 Taipei Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur 6 Batam Island Taipei Johor Bahru 7 Malacca Malacca Batam Island 8 Hong Kong Tokyo Seoul 9 Tokyo Seoul Hong Kong 10 Seoul Hong Kong Osaka
- Osaka usurps Seoul’s number one spot for NYE travel, which it held the previous two years.
- Japan is the most popular foreign country for Koreans to celebrate the year-end, with Osaka (#4), Tokyo (#4), Fukuoka (#5) and Sapporo (#10) all making an appearance in the top ten.
- Those staying closer to home for NYE will be headed to Seoul (#2) and Busan (#8).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for South Korean travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Seoul Seoul Osaka 2 Busan Tokyo Seoul 3 Tokyo Busan Jeju Island 4 Taipei Jeju Island Tokyo 5 Osaka Osaka Fukuoka 6 Jeju Island Fukuoka Taipei 7 Fukuoka Taipei Bangkok 8 Bangkok Bangkok Busan 9 Okinawa Main island Sapporo Da Nang 10 Hong Kong Da Nang Sapporo
- Chiang Mai takes over Bangkok’s crown for top NYE destination this year for Agoda’s Thai travelers.
- Japan is the most popular international destination with Tokyo jumping from seventh place last NYE to third place and Osaka making an appearance in this year’s top ten.
- Taiwan is increasingly on the map as a year-end destination for Thai travelers, with Taipei making its first appearance in the top ten this year.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Thai Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Chiang Mai Bangkok Chiang Mai 2 Bangkok Chiang Mai Pattaya 3 Pattaya Pattaya Tokyo 4 Hua Hin / Cha-am Hua Hin / Cha-am Hua Hin / Cha-am 5 Khao Yai Khao Yai Bangkok 6 Tokyo Phuket Khao Yai 7 Phuket Tokyo Seoul 8 Chiang Rai Chiang Rai Osaka 9 Kanchanaburi Chonburi Taipei 10 Seoul Kanchanaburi Chiang Rai
United Arab Emirates
- Emiratis are increasingly looking to celebrate the year-end beyond the Arab Peninsula with six destinations further afield this year (London, Tokyo, Paris, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur), compared with only three in 2016 (London, Bangkok and Pattaya).
- Dubai is the most popular destination overall, holding the top spot for the last three years.
- Tokyo is among the fastest-growing NYE destinations for Emirates travelers, making its first-time appearance in the top ten this year at number four.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Emiratis (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Dubai Dubai Dubai 2 Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi London 3 London London Abu Dhabi 4 Bangkok Mecca Tokyo 5 Mecca Bangkok Paris 6 Sharjah Sharjah Bangkok 7 Kuwait Ras Al Khaimah Kuala Lumpur 8 Ras Al Khaimah Kuwait Mecca 9 Pattaya Manama Istanbul 10 Medina Pattaya Medina
- Brits are looking to ring in the New Year in a more tropical climate as popular beach destinations Pattaya (#1), Phuket (#4), Koh Samui (#7), Bali (#8) and Krabi (#10) make up half of the top ten NYE destinations.
- The ‘Land of Smiles’ is the most popular country overall, with five out of the top ten destinations all based in Thailand.
- Dubai has jumped to fifth most popular NYE destination for 2018, from ninth in 2016.
- Those staying in Europe are heading to London (#2), Paris (#6) or Amsterdam (#9).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for British travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Pattaya London Pattaya 2 London Pattaya London 3 Bangkok Bangkok Bangkok 4 Phuket Phuket Phuket 5 Koh Samui Koh Samui Dubai 6 Bali Bali Paris 7 Koh Phangan Paris Koh Samui 8 Berlin Dubai Bali 9 Dubai Berlin Amsterdam 10 Koh Phi Phi Edinburgh Krabi
- Las Vegas is the top NYE destination for American travelers again in 2018.
- New Orleans, which will be celebrating its Tricentennial throughout 2019, makes the top ten list coming in this year at number eight.
- Those celebrating NYE abroad will be headed to long-haul destination in Asia – Tokyo (#2), Bangkok (#5) and Taipei (#10).
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for American Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Las Vegas (NV) Las Vegas (NV) Las Vegas (NV) 2 Bangkok New York (NY) Tokyo 3 Tokyo Tokyo New York (NY) 4 New York (NY) Los Angeles (CA) Orlando (FL) 5 Los Angeles (CA) Bangkok Bangkok 6 London Orlando (FL) Los Angeles (CA) 7 Orlando (FL) San Francisco (CA) Chicago (IL) 8 Manila Chicago (IL) New Orleans (LA) 9 Hong Kong Phuket San Francisco (CA) 10 Chiang Mai Chiang Mai Taipei
- Dalat usurps Ho Ch Minh City’s for the number one spot for NYE travel.
- More international destinations feature on this year’s top ten, as Vietnamese travelers celebrate the year-end further afield with three destinations in the top ten this year (Bangkok, Taipei and Singapore), compared with only one last year (Bangkok).
- Taipei enters this year’s top ten in the number four spot.
Agoda’s Top 2018 NYE Destinations for Vietnamese Travelers (31 December 2018)
2016 2017 2018 1 Ho Chi Minh City Ho Chi Minh City Dalat 2 Hanoi Hanoi Bangkok 3 Dalat Dalat Ho Chi Minh City 4 Bangkok Vung Tau Sapa 5 Vung Tau Bangkok Da Nang 6 Nha Trang Da Nang Taipei 7 Da Nang Phan Thiet Singapore 8 Phan Thiet Nha Trang Vung Tau 9 Phu Quoc Island Sapa Nha Trang 10 Singapore Phu Quoc Island Hanoi
Notes to editors:
Agoda booking data was collated on 10 December 2018 for NYE bookings in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.