More about Biliran Province
Discover the Hidden Gems: Fun Facts about Biliran, Philippines
Biliran is a hidden gem located in the Eastern Visayas region of the Philippines. It is an island province that boasts pristine beaches, waterfalls, hot springs, and lush mountains. Biliran is also known for its rich history and culture. Here are some fun facts about Biliran:
- Biliran is the fourth smallest province in the Philippines in terms of land area and population.
- The name "Biliran" comes from the native word "Biriran," which means "a place where water flows."
- Biliran is home to the smallest fish in the world, the Pandaca Pygmea, which can only be found in the Almeria River.
- The province is also known for its sweet delicacy called "kakanin," made from glutinous rice, coconut milk, and sugar.
- Biliran has a rich history dating back to the Spanish colonial period. It was once a part of the Leyte province until it became a separate province in 1992.
- Biliran is also home to the last remaining mangrove forest in Samar Island.
Top Reasons Why Biliran Should be Your Next Travel Destination
If you're looking for a destination that is off the beaten path, Biliran should be on your list. Here are some of the top reasons why:
- Pristine beaches: Biliran has some of the most beautiful and untouched beaches in the Philippines. From the white sand beach of Higatangan Island to the black sand beach of Agta Beach Resort, there's a beach for everyone.
- Waterfalls: Biliran is also known for its stunning waterfalls. The most popular ones are Ulan-Ulan Falls and Tinago Falls, both of which are surrounded by lush greenery.
- Hot springs: If you're looking for a relaxing soak, Biliran has several hot springs that are open to the public. The most popular ones are Mainit Hot Spring and Recoletos Hot Spring.
- Rich culture: Biliran is home to the Waray-Waray people, who have a distinct culture and language. You can learn more about their traditions and customs by visiting the Biliran Provincial Museum.
- Adventure activities: Biliran is perfect for adventure seekers. You can go trekking in the mountains, kayaking in the rivers, or snorkeling in the coral reefs.
- Local cuisine: Biliran has a unique cuisine that is influenced by its geography and history. You must try the local delicacies such as kakanin, binagol, and sagmani.
Traveling to Biliran: How to Get There Hassle-Free
Getting to Biliran is relatively easy, but it requires a bit of planning. Here are some ways to get to Biliran:
- By air: The nearest airport to Biliran is the Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport in Tacloban City. From there, you can take a van or bus to Naval, the capital town of Biliran.
- By land and sea: If you're coming from Manila, you can take a bus to Ormoc City in Leyte. From there, you can take a ferry to Naval. The bus ride takes around 24 hours, while the ferry ride takes around 2 hours.
- By private car: If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car in Tacloban City and drive to Naval. The drive takes around 3 hours.
10 Fun Things to Do in Biliran for a Memorable Vacation
Biliran has plenty of activities to offer, whether you're a nature lover or an adventure seeker. Here are ten fun things to do in Biliran:
1. Visit the pristine beaches of Higatangan Island and Agta Beach Resort.
2. Take a dip in the hot springs of Mainit and Recoletos.
3. Trek to the top of Mount Tres Marias for a panoramic view of the island.
4. Explore the mangrove forest in Barangay Atipolo.
5. Go kayaking in the rivers of Biliran.
6. Snorkel in the coral reefs of Sambawan Island.
7. Visit the Biliran Provincial Museum to learn about the province's rich history and culture.
8. Take a dip in the Ulan-Ulan and Tinago waterfalls.
9. Go caving in the Anas Cave in Almeria.
10. Try the local delicacies such as kakanin, binagol, and sagmani.
Why Book Your Biliran Hotel with Agoda.com
When it comes to booking your Biliran hotel, Agoda.com is the way to go. Here are some reasons why:
- Wide selection of hotels: Agoda.com has a wide selection of hotels in Biliran, ranging from budget-friendly to luxurious.
- Best price guarantee: Agoda.com offers the best price guarantee, which means that you'll get the best deal on your hotel booking.
- Easy booking process: The booking process is easy and hassle-free. You can book your hotel in just a few clicks.
- Secure payment: Agoda.com uses secure payment methods to ensure that your personal and financial information is safe.
- 24/7 customer service: Agoda.com has a 24/7 customer service team that can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
The Best Time to Visit Biliran: A Month-by-Month Guide
Biliran is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit depends on your preferences. Here's a month-by-month guide to help you plan your trip:
- January to February: This is the best time to visit if you want to avoid the crowds. The weather is generally cool and dry.
- March to May: These months are the hottest and driest in Biliran. It's a great time to hit the beach and enjoy the waterfalls.
- June to August: These months are the rainy season in Biliran. However, the rain usually comes in short bursts, so it won't ruin your vacation.
- September to December: These months are the typhoon season in Biliran. It's best to check the weather forecast before booking your trip.
Traveling to Biliran: Tips and Tricks for a Smooth Trip
To make the most out of your trip to Biliran, here are some tips and tricks:
- Pack light and bring comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Bring insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Bring cash, as there are limited ATMs in the province.
- Learn some basic Waray-Waray phrases to communicate with the locals.
- Respect the local culture and traditions.
- Book your hotel in advance to avoid any inconvenience.
Where to Stay in Biliran: Find Your Perfect Accommodation
Biliran has plenty of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Here are some of the best hotels in Biliran:
- Marvin's Seaside Inn: This budget-friendly hotel is located in Naval town and offers clean and comfortable rooms.
- GV Hotel Naval: This hotel is located in the heart of Naval town and offers affordable rooms with basic amenities.
- Hotel Benjamin Naval: This mid-range hotel offers spacious rooms and modern amenities.
- Agta Beach Resort: This beachfront resort offers comfortable rooms and a relaxing ambiance.
- Fragoch Tourist Inn: This hotel is located in Almeria and offers clean and spacious rooms.
What to Eat in Biliran: A Foodie's Guide to Local Cuisine
Biliran has a unique cuisine that is influenced by its geography and history. Here are some must-try dishes:
- Kakanin: This sweet delicacy is made from glutinous rice, coconut milk, and sugar.
- Binagol: This dessert is made from mashed sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and peanuts, wrapped in banana leaves.
- Sagmani: This dessert is made from glutinous rice, coconut milk, and sugar, wrapped in banana leaves.
- Paksiw na Isda: This fish dish is cooked in vinegar, garlic, and ginger.
- Adobo: This popular Filipino dish is made from meat (usually pork or chicken), soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic.
- Lechon: This roasted pig dish is a staple in Filipino celebrations.
Getting Around Biliran: A Comprehensive Guide
Getting around Biliran is relatively easy, but it requires some planning. Here's a comprehensive guide:
- Tricycles: Tricycles are the most common mode of transportation in Biliran. They are cheap and can take you to almost anywhere in the province.
- Vans: Vans are available for hire if you want to explore the province at your own pace.
- Jeepneys: Jeepneys are also available but are less common than tricycles.
- Motorcycles: Motorcycles are available for rent if you want to explore the province on your own.
- Walking: Walking is a great way to explore the town centers and nearby attractions.