More about Dumyat
Discovering the Hidden Gems of Dumyat: Fun Facts and Reasons to Visit
Dumyat, also known as Damietta, is a small port city in the northern part of Egypt, located on the Mediterranean coast. Despite its size, Dumyat is a city full of history, culture, and natural beauty, which makes it a perfect destination for travelers looking for a unique and authentic experience. Here are some fun facts and reasons to visit Dumyat:
- Dumyat is the birthplace of the famous Egyptian poet Ahmed Shawqi, who is considered one of the greatest poets in the Arabic language. Visitors can visit his house, which has been turned into a museum, to learn more about his life and works.
- Dumyat is famous for its handmade furniture, which is made of high-quality wood and has intricate designs. Visitors can buy souvenirs and gifts from the local markets and shops, such as wooden boxes, chairs, and tables.
- Dumyat is known for its delicious seafood, especially its famous fish dish called "samak mashwi," which is grilled fish seasoned with herbs and spices. Visitors can enjoy this dish and other seafood specialties in the local restaurants and cafes.
- Dumyat is home to the Grand Mosque of Dumyat, which is one of the oldest and most beautiful mosques in Egypt. Visitors can admire its stunning architecture and intricate decorations, and learn more about its history and significance.
- Dumyat is surrounded by stunning natural landscapes, such as the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea. Visitors can take a boat tour or a fishing trip to explore the local waterways and enjoy the scenic views.
Getting There: How to Go to Dumyat and Travel Around
Dumyat is located about 200 kilometers north of Cairo, and can be easily reached by car, bus, or train. The nearest airport is Borg El Arab International Airport, which is about 100 kilometers away. Visitors can also take a taxi or a private transfer from the airport to Dumyat.
Once in Dumyat, visitors can travel around the city by taxi, bus, or microbus. Taxis are the most convenient and comfortable option, but can be more expensive than other modes of transportation. Buses and microbuses are cheaper, but can be crowded and uncomfortable, especially during peak hours.
The Best Time to Visit Dumyat: Seasonal Highlights and Travel Tips
The best time to visit Dumyat is during the spring and fall months, from March to May and from September to November. During these months, the weather is mild and pleasant, and the crowds are smaller than during the peak summer season.
One of the highlights of visiting Dumyat during the spring is the annual Flower Festival, which takes place in April. The festival celebrates the blooming of the local flowers, and features a variety of cultural and artistic events, such as music concerts, dance performances, and art exhibitions.
During the summer months, from June to August, Dumyat can be hot and humid, with temperatures reaching up to 40 degrees Celsius. However, this is also the peak tourist season, and visitors can enjoy the local beaches, water sports, and other outdoor activities.
During the winter months, from December to February, Dumyat can be cold and rainy, with temperatures dropping to around 10 degrees Celsius. However, this is also the low tourist season, and visitors can enjoy lower prices, smaller crowds, and a more authentic and peaceful experience.
Unforgettable Experiences: Fun Things to Do and Eat in Dumyat
Dumyat offers a variety of fun and unforgettable experiences for visitors, from exploring the local history and culture to enjoying the natural beauty and delicious food. Here are some of the top things to do and eat in Dumyat:
- Visit the Grand Mosque of Dumyat: This stunning mosque is a must-see attraction in Dumyat, featuring beautiful architecture and decorations. Visitors can also learn more about the local Islamic culture and traditions.
- Explore the Ahmed Shawqi Museum: This museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Egyptian poet Ahmed Shawqi, and features a collection of his personal belongings, manuscripts, and books. Visitors can also enjoy the beautiful garden and the stunning views of the Nile River.
- Enjoy the Local Seafood: Dumyat is famous for its delicious seafood, especially its grilled fish dish called "samak mashwi." Visitors can try this dish and other seafood specialties in the local restaurants and cafes, such as El Mena Beach and Dolphin Ras El-Bar Hotel.
- Take a Boat Tour: Visitors can explore the local waterways and enjoy the scenic views of the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea by taking a boat tour or a fishing trip. Point 11 Residence offers boat tours and other water activities.
- Visit the Local Markets and Shops: Visitors can buy souvenirs and gifts from the local markets and shops, such as handmade furniture, wooden boxes, and traditional clothing. The local markets are also a great place to experience the local culture and interact with the friendly locals.
Where to Stay in Dumyat: Top Accommodation Options with Agoda.com
Dumyat offers a variety of accommodation options for visitors, from budget-friendly hotels to luxurious resorts. Here are some of the top hotels in Dumyat, as recommended by Agoda.com:
- Grand Hotel Ras Elbar: This 3-star hotel is located in a quiet area of Dumyat, and offers comfortable rooms, a pool, a restaurant, and a garden. It is also close to the local attractions, such as the Grand Mosque and the Ahmed Shawqi Museum.
- Dolphin Ras El-Bar Hotel: This 4-star hotel is located on the beachfront of Dumyat, and offers spacious rooms, a pool, a restaurant, and a bar. It is also close to the local markets and shops, and offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
- El Mena Beach: This 3-star hotel is located on the beachfront of Dumyat, and offers comfortable rooms, a pool, a restaurant, and a bar. It is also close to the local attractions, such as the Grand Mosque and the Ahmed Shawqi Museum.
- Point 11 Residence: This 3-star hotel is located in the center of Dumyat, and offers modern rooms, a restaurant, and a garden. It is also close to the local markets and shops, and offers easy access to the local transportation.
- Steigenberger Hotel El Lessan: This 5-star hotel is located in the nearby city of Port Said, and offers luxurious rooms, a pool, a spa, a restaurant, and a bar. It is also close to the local attractions, such as the Suez Canal and the Port Said Lighthouse.
Traveling to Dumyat: Essential Tips for First-Time Visitors
Here are some essential tips for first-time visitors to Dumyat:
- Dress Modestly: Dumyat is a conservative city, and visitors are advised to dress modestly, especially when visiting the local mosques and other religious sites.
- Learn Some Arabic: Although many locals speak English, learning some basic Arabic phrases can help visitors communicate better and show respect for the local culture.
- Bring Cash: Although some shops and restaurants accept credit cards, it is advisable to bring cash, especially when visiting the local markets and shops.
- Be Prepared for the Weather: Dumyat can be hot and humid during the summer months, and cold and rainy during the winter months. Visitors are advised to check the weather forecast and pack accordingly.
- Book Your Hotel in Advance: Dumyat can be busy during the peak tourist season, and it is advisable to book your hotel in advance, especially if you are looking for a specific type of accommodation. Agoda.com offers a variety of hotel options in Dumyat, and allows you to compare prices and read reviews from other travelers.