More about Matruh
Discover the Hidden Gems: Fun Facts about Matruh, Egypt
Matruh is a coastal city located in the northwestern part of Egypt. It is known for its beautiful beaches, crystal-clear waters, and stunning landscapes. But did you know that Matruh has more to offer than just its natural beauty? Here are some fun facts about Matruh that you might not know:
- Matruh is home to the world's largest desert park, the Al-Matrouh Protected Area, which covers an area of 7,450 square kilometers. It is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including rare species such as the Dorcas gazelle and the Nubian ibex.
- Matruh is a popular destination for kite surfers due to its strong winds and calm waters. The city hosts an annual kite surfing festival that attracts participants from all over the world.
- Matruh has a rich history dating back to ancient times. It was once an important trading post for the Phoenicians and was later ruled by the Greeks, Romans, and Ottomans.
- Matruh is famous for its delicious seafood, particularly its grilled fish and shrimp. The city's location on the Mediterranean Sea means that fresh seafood is readily available.
Top Reasons Why Matruh Should Be Your Next Travel Destination
Matruh is a hidden gem that offers a unique travel experience. Here are some reasons why you should visit Matruh:
- Beautiful beaches: Matruh's beaches are some of the most beautiful in Egypt. The crystal-clear waters and soft white sand make it the perfect place to relax and unwind.
- Diverse landscapes: Matruh is home to a variety of landscapes, from the desert to the sea. Visitors can explore the Al-Matrouh Protected Area, go on a desert safari, or take a boat trip along the coast.
- Rich history: Matruh has a fascinating history that is waiting to be explored. Visitors can visit the ruins of the ancient city of Paraetonium or the Alamein War Cemetery, which commemorates the soldiers who died in the Battle of El Alamein during World War II.
- Delicious food: Matruh is known for its delicious seafood, but it also has a variety of other local dishes to try. Some must-try dishes include fiteer (a type of Egyptian pastry), koshari (a vegetarian dish made with lentils, rice, and pasta), and hawawshi (a type of Egyptian meat pie).
Travel Guide: How to Go to Matruh Hassle-Free
Matruh is easily accessible by both air and land. Here's how to get there:
- By air: Matruh has its own airport, Matruh International Airport, which is served by several airlines. Flights are available from Cairo, Alexandria, and other major cities in Egypt.
- By land: Matruh is located approximately 450 kilometers west of Cairo. Visitors can take a bus or hire a private car to get to Matruh. The journey takes around 5-6 hours.
Unforgettable Experience: Fun Things to Do in Matruh
Matruh has a variety of activities to suit every type of traveler. Here are some fun things to do in Matruh:
- Relax on the beach: Matruh's beaches are the perfect place to relax and soak up the sun. Some of the most popular beaches include Cleopatra Beach, Agiba Beach, and Rommel Beach.
- Explore the Al-Matrouh Protected Area: The Al-Matrouh Protected Area is a must-visit for nature lovers. Visitors can go on a safari to see the local wildlife, including the rare Dorcas gazelle and the Nubian ibex.
- Visit the Alamein War Cemetery: The Alamein War Cemetery is a sobering reminder of the sacrifices made during World War II. The cemetery contains the graves of soldiers from all over the world who died in the Battle of El Alamein.
- Try the local cuisine: Matruh is known for its delicious seafood, but it also has a variety of other local dishes to try. Some must-try dishes include fiteer (a type of Egyptian pastry), koshari (a vegetarian dish made with lentils, rice, and pasta), and hawawshi (a type of Egyptian meat pie).
Book Your Stay with Agoda.com: The Best Hotels in Matruh
Agoda.com offers a wide range of hotels in Matruh to suit every budget. Here are some of the best hotels in Matruh:
- Majorica Marina Hotel: This 4-star hotel is located on the beachfront and offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. The hotel has a pool, a spa, and several restaurants.
- Golden Lake Marina Hotel: This 5-star hotel is located on a private beach and offers luxurious accommodation. The hotel has a pool, a spa, and several restaurants.
- Albabenshal Lodge Siwa: This boutique hotel is located in the nearby town of Siwa and offers a unique travel experience. The hotel has a pool, a spa, and several restaurants.
- Siwa Relax Retreat (Adults Only): This adults-only hotel is located in the heart of Siwa and offers a peaceful retreat. The hotel has a pool, a spa, and a restaurant.
- Qasr El salam: This 4-star hotel is located in the Al-Matrouh Protected Area and offers a unique travel experience. The hotel has a pool, a spa, and a restaurant.
When to Visit Matruh: The Best Season and Moment to Go
The best time to visit Matruh is during the summer months (June-August) when the weather is warm and sunny. However, this is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices. If you prefer a quieter travel experience, consider visiting Matruh during the shoulder seasons (April-May and September-October). The weather is still pleasant, and prices are more affordable.
Expert Tips for Travelers: Your Ultimate Guide to Matruh
Here are some expert tips for travelers visiting Matruh:
- Dress appropriately: Matruh is a conservative city, so it's important to dress modestly. Women should cover their shoulders and wear long skirts or pants, while men should avoid wearing shorts.
- Learn some Arabic: While English is spoken in most tourist areas, learning some basic Arabic phrases can go a long way in communicating with locals.
- Be prepared for the weather: Matruh can get very hot during the summer months, so make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses. It can also get chilly at night, so bring a light jacket or sweater.
Where to Stay in Matruh: Accommodation Guide for Every Budget
Matruh offers a variety of accommodation options to suit every budget. Here are some of the best places to stay in Matruh:
- Budget: For budget travelers, consider staying at the Siwa Safari Camp or the Siwa Shali Resort. Both offer affordable accommodation options without sacrificing comfort.
- Mid-range: For mid-range travelers, consider staying at the Golden Lake Marina Hotel or the Majorica Marina Hotel. Both offer luxurious accommodation options at a reasonable price.
- Luxury: For luxury travelers, consider staying at the Albabenshal Lodge Siwa or the Siwa Relax Retreat (Adults Only). Both offer a unique travel experience with luxurious amenities.
Delicious Delights: What to Eat in Matruh
Matruh is known for its delicious seafood, but it also has a variety of other local dishes to try. Here are some must-try dishes in Matruh:
- Grilled fish and shrimp: Matruh's location on the Mediterranean Sea means that fresh seafood is readily available. Grilled fish and shrimp are a local specialty and can be found at most restaurants.
- Fiteer: Fiteer is a type of Egyptian pastry that is similar to pizza. It can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including cheese, meat, and vegetables.
- Koshari: Koshari is a vegetarian dish made with lentils, rice, and pasta. It is topped with a spicy tomato sauce and fried onions.
- Hawawshi: Hawawshi is a type of Egyptian meat pie that is filled with ground beef, onions, and spices.
Getting Around Matruh: Your Transportation Options
Matruh is a small city that is easy to navigate. Here are some transportation options for getting around Matruh:
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available in Matruh and are a convenient way to get around. Make sure to negotiate the price before getting in the taxi.
- Bus: Matruh has a local bus system that is cheap and convenient. However, buses can get crowded during peak hours.
- Car rental: If you prefer to have your own transportation, consider renting a car. This gives you the flexibility to explore Matruh at your own pace.