One of the best malls in Dubai (and one of the largest malls in the world) is Mall of the Emirates, a four-floor mall with hundreds of retail stores and dining options. If the stores and restaurants aren’t enough to keep visitors entertained, Mall of the Emirates also is home to a full ski resort, complete with an indoor mountain, and other family-friendly attractions. Enjoy an unforgettable day of shopping at Mall of the Emirates to find the best Dubai souvenirs and family-friendly entertainment.
An Introduction to Mall of the Emirates
Mall of the Emirates (sometimes known as Emirates Mall) is more than just a place to shop – it’s one of the top attractions in Dubai. There are over 600 retail stores to choose from, including luxury fashion boutiques, lifestyle stores, electronics stores, and much more. It is also home to Dubai’s largest Carrefour Hypermarket, a giant supermarket that sells groceries, prepared foods, and some home goods like small appliances. At a minimum, plan to spend between 45 minutes to 2.5 hours browsing the various shops. For lunch or dinner, there are over 100 different cafes, fast food shops, and full-service fine dining restaurants serving local and international cuisine. The mall is also very beautifully designed, with a domed glass ceiling that lets natural light shine through on sunny days (which, in Dubai, is quite often).
Ski Dubai and other attractions
What sets Mall of the Emirates above the rest is Ski Dubai, an indoor ski park with an 85-meter-high mountain. It’s an excellent spot for families, couples, and even solo travelers to ski, snowboard, toboggan, and have fun in the indoor snow park. Other fun attractions at the mall include a movie theater, a community arts theater, and a family entertainment area.
Hours of Operation
- Sunday to Wednesday, from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- Thursday to Saturday, from 10:00 AM to midnight
The Carrefour Hypermarket has separate hours of operation. It is open daily from 9:00 AM to midnight.
Check In to Carlton Al Barsha, Step Out to Mall of the Emirates
Ski Dubai at Mall of the Emirates
No matter how hot it is outdoors, there’s always winter fun to be had at Ski Dubai. This indoor ski resort features a snow-covered mountain, perfect for skiing and snowboarding. The 85-meter-high mountain has slopes for beginners and intermediates, plus a black diamond run for experts.
Ticket Prices for Ski Dubai
A basic slope ticket costs 210 AED and includes access to the slopes and chairlift for two hours, a locker to store belongings, and winter jackets, boots, ski pants, and sporting equipment to rent. Visitors should bring their own gloves. The full-day slope pass costs 310 AED. Ski and snowboard lessons are also available for children and adults of every skill level. Visitors may book private lessons or join in on a group lesson. Children as young as three can learn to ski, and children as young as eight can learn to snowboard. For families, couples, and solo travelers, there are also many other fun winter sports and activities to enjoy at Ski Dubai.
- Chairlift Rides: Take a chairlift ride up to the top of the mountain to ski or snowboard, or just enjoy the ride and the view of the park from above. The largest chairlift can comfortably fit four people.
Snow Park: The Ski Dubai Snow Park is a nonstop adventure park for people young and old to enjoy (ages two and up). Some of the rides available include bobsled rides, snow bumpers, and tubing. There is also an ice cave to explore as well as a climbing wall. One of the most fun and unique activities to try in Snow Park is Zorb ball. Visitors will enter a giant inflatable ball, take the Zorblift up to the top of the mountain, then roll down the hill in this transparent ball for an experience like no other.
Ski Dubai Penguins: The resort is also home to adorable and feisty colonies of Gentoo and King Penguins. Book an up-close and personal encounter with the penguins (starting at 230 AED), or swim with the penguins for 1390 AED (18+ only). Be sure to also stop by to watch the free, tourist-favorite March of the Penguins live show, which occurs about once every two hours daily.
North 28: Fuel up after a day of winter activities at North 28, the resort’s main restaurant. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and serves a wide selection of delicious comfort foods. Avalanche Cafe and Ice Cafe are the resort’s other two dining options. These cafes offer incredible views of the slopes and serve Ski Dubai’s famous hot chocolate, plus other warm beverages, pastries, and savory snacks.
Snow Pro: The pro equipment shop Snow Pro is located in the resort lobby and features professional-level ski and snowboard gear and cold-weather clothing. The knowledgeable staff is available to help all tourists find the best equipment for their skill level. The shop also sells fun little gifts and souvenirs, like plush penguin toys and keychains.
Hours of Operation:
- Sunday to Wednesday, from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Thursday, from 10:00 AM to midnight
- Friday, from 9:00 AM to midnight
- Saturday, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Check In to Kempinski Mall Of The Emirates Hotel, Step Out to Ski Dubai
Family-Friendly Activities at Mall of the Emirates
The entertainment options at Mall of the Emirates are not limited to shopping and snowy outdoor activities – there are also many other unique experiences to be had. All of the places in the list below are fun for the entire family.
- Dreamscape: Located on the second floor of the mall, Dreamscape is a movie theater and theme park rolled into one. Using advanced virtual reality technology and moving pod seating, visitors are immersed in a virtual world and become part of the cinematic adventure. Dreamscape is open daily from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM, with shows every 20 minutes. Tickets cost 75 AED, and shows are restricted to travelers age ten and up.
Magic Planet: As it is the top family entertainment center in United Arab Emirates, a trip to Magic Planet is a must when traveling with children. This indoor adventure park is filled with games and rides that are suitable for children of all ages. Playing arcade games will earn tickets that can be redeemed for fun prizes. There is also a soft play park and kiddie rides for the youngest family members, thrill rides and a gravity air park for older kids, and a bowling alley (Yalla! Bowling) for the entire family to enjoy.
The Theatre: There are two different theater venues at Emirates Mall: a traditional movie theater, and a community arts theater (known simply as, “The Theatre“). The community theater hosts a variety of artistic performances, including plays, documentary screenings, musical performances, and other live shows. Guests can use the Mall of the Emirates mobile app to check the theater’s schedule for the day of their visit.
VOX Cinemas: For local and international movies, there’s no better place to be than VOX Cinemas at Mall of the Emirates. In addition to the standard theaters, this cinema also includes an IMAX theater, a luxury theater with butler service, a 4DX theater with motion chairs, and a colorful kids theater that plays only kid-friendly movies. VOX is open daily from 10:00 AM to 1:00 AM.
Check In to Sheraton Mall of the Emirates Hotel, Dubai, Step Out to Mall of the Emirates
Where to Eat at Mall of the Emirates
With so much to see and do, chances are high that Emirates Mall visitors will need to take a shopping break at some point to refuel. The mall food courts offer everything from light snacks and drinks to full meals. There are also various dining options scattered throughout the mall’s four floors.
Restaurants & Food at Mall of the Emirates
Cafes: Enjoy a coffee and a quick bite to eat at one of the mall’s four Starbucks locations, or satisfy a sweet tooth at Cinnabon or Alison Nelson’s Chocolate Bar.
Fast Food: There are two food courts, on the ground floor and first floor, which are both filled with fast food dining options. Choose from well-known international brands like McDonald’s and Burger King or try flavorful Middle Eastern food at Zaatar w Zeit or Mashakeek Kebab Dubai.
Fine Dining: For visitors who would prefer to take a longer shopping break, there are also several incredibly popular sit-down restaurants at this mall, like:
- Texas de Brazil: The Brazilian steakhouse Texas de Brazil offers a build-your-own salad bar and over a dozen slow-roasted meat options, carved tableside.
- Karam Beirut: Located on the first floor, Karam Beirut is a great place to enjoy authentic Lebanese cuisine. The menu includes a wide selection of mezze (small sharing dishes), so guests can try a little bit of everything.
- Din Tai Fung: The famous Taiwanese restaurant chain Din Tai Fung has a well-loved location on the second floor of Emirates Mall. The menu includes a wide selection of Huaiyang cuisine classics made fresh with premium ingredients.
- Azkadenya: While the Middle Eastern food at Azkadenya is fantastic, it’s the restaurant’s atmosphere that keeps guests coming back for more. The fun colors and pop culture references give the space a fun and friendly vibe.
Check In to Novotel Suites Dubai Mall of the Emirates, Step Out to Mall of the Emirates
What to Buy at Mall of the Emirates
With hundreds and hundreds of retail stores to explore, the shopping possibilities at Mall of the Emirates are endless. Men and women of all ages, including children, are sure to find some great products they’ll love to bring home.
- Souvenirs: Popular Dubai souvenirs can be purchased in various stores throughout the mall. Stop by Carrefour Hypermarket for items like Dubai dates and other dried fruit, spices, and coffee beans.
- Clothing: There are dozens of men’s, women’s, and children’s apparel shops to choose from, including luxury fashion brands like Fendi, Gucci, and Dolce & Gabbana.
- Electronics: Cameras, phones, tablets, laptops, and other electronics are on sale from top brands like Samsung, Apple, and Virgin Mobile. There are also several stores selling small home and kitchen appliances.
- Accessories: Adding style to any outfit requires the right accessories, like shoes, handbags, jewelry, and watches. Luxury brands at the mall include Rolex, Christian Louboutin, and Tiffany & Co.
- Leather Goods: Handcrafted leather suitcase sets and other high-quality leather goods are popular items to pick up at Mall of the Emirates.
- Beauty and Skincare Products: MAC, Sephora, and Boots are just a few of the many beauty and skincare shops to choose from at this mall. Ajmal Perfume is another great spot to shop for gifts or personal treats.
- Sunglasses: With Dubai‘s hot and sunny climate, it’s no surprise that sunglasses are a top shopping category. Shop for prescription or non-prescription sunglasses at one of the 13 eyewear retailers.
- Sports Equipment: The sporting goods stores at Mall of the Emirates are filled with clothing and equipment for everyone from at-home yoga enthusiasts to extreme sports athletes.
Free Mobile Apps, Wi-Fi & Bag Storage
Since it can take a while to explore the entire mall, be sure to take advantage of the many guest amenities and services available. These free programs make it easy for tourists to shop all day and find the best deals.
- Throughout the mall, visitors will have access to free wi-fi, allowing them to check for messages and view their Dubai trip itinerary.
- There is also a convenient Mall of the Emirates mobile app, available for iPhone and Android phones. The app offers access to an entire mall map and store directory so visitors can plan the perfect shopping route. It also comes with other perks like ticketless parking, the ability to book restaurant tables, and special mall offers.
- When cell phones or other devices are running low on battery, stop by any Customer Service desk to borrow a portable power bank for on-the-go phone charging.
- The Hands-Free shopping program allows visitors to drop off an unlimited number of bags for free storage at any Hands-Free collection desk. Later, visitors may call and request free delivery of their bags to any spot within the mall, including the parking lot and the hotels that are connected to the mall.
- Delivery to places outside of the mall in Dubai is also available for a fee of 18-30 AED.
Check In to Cassells Al Barsha Hotel, Step Out to Mall of the Emirates
Getting to Mall of the Emirates
Mall of the Emirates can be found at Al Barsha Sheikh Zayed Road Interchange Four, conveniently located in what’s known as “New Dubai.” For travelers coming via rental car, the mall is very easy to spot from the street. Look for the clearly marked signs which outline where to turn to enter the four-tiered covered parking garage. Parking is free for up to four hours (Sunday to Thursday only) and costs between 20-30 AED for every hour after that. Overnight parking costs 350 AED per night.
Visitors may also choose to travel to the mall via bus. The Big Bus Company’s Beach Tour and Marina Tour routes stop at several Dubai tourist attractions, like Jumeirah Public Beach, and finish at Mall of the Emirates. These hop-on, hop-off tours run throughout most of the day, starting every 20-30 minutes, and include audio commentary (available in 12 languages). The mall is also accessible via Dubai Metro. Mall of the Emirates Metro Station is on the Dubai Metro Red Line and is directly connected to the mall by a covered pedestrian walkway.